Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Crystal HD for mac mini
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi team.

I am currently installing ubuntu on bootcamp on my core duo 1.6 mini.

I know the wireless slot in the mini will happily take the crystal HD I have.

But do I need to do anything for XBMC to utalise it from within linux?

Please note I am not a command line hack!

Cheers
install the driver/lib and xbmc should see it.
Please I would really appriciate if someone can confirm Yes or No, does Crystal HD work inside a mac mini 1.6 core duo.

Honestly Linux and its users can be very frustrating!

I have looked every where, the best I could find was drivers for OSX on ATV, do drivers exist for Ubuntu, Yes or No?

I have been at this for 6 hours. XBMC runs, but at 76 cpu in idle, its slower then a continental shift pattern and the web is coming up with nothing.

Can I used Linux on a mac mini core duo 1.6 to run XBMC with a crystal HD installed? My understanding was yes and that it should be much better than the OSX version. I am running into brick walls constantly. All instructions on this forum say to install latest Nvidia drivers, why? My mini has intel graphics.

Sigh. Sorry for the frustration, I just don't get why it has to be so difficult. Its 2011 you would have thought the Linux branch would have crawled out of 1998.
OK and breathe.

After another hour of frustration I worked out how to install the teamxbmc ppa. Inb the package manager thing was crystal drivers, which I installed.

And still nothing.

If you restart the mac and run XBMC immediately it uses around 6% CPU in idle. However after linux has ran for a few minutes that jumps to 76% CPU.

I can see that the garden of linux is still closed to the average user so I am reverting to OSX.

I wish I could say it had been fun.

I would use XBMC live however that instal results in a missing 'grub' so it will not boot.
Search much?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76280

Seriously, while that was snarky, your posts are over the top. There's plenty of documentation around, you need to put in some work in finding it. Nobody here is going to spoon feed you everything you want.

High CPU utilization while just having XBMC running, i.e. no video content being played, has nothing to do with the Crystal HD card. You need to post some logs to see if anything else is going wrong. You might also have some dodgy hardware or a fubar'd install. Nobody can help you if all you do is bitch and moan about Linux being a walled garden.
Thank you for your comments, i was very frustrated by this stage as i had been doing google for in excess of 6 hours.

Linux is very difficult. You may not agree and thats fine. But it is. Just installing something is some much more difficult than windows or mac as to not be funny. Trying to find information that is coherent is very hard. One avenue leads to loads more searches leading to lots more roads all of them ending in dead ends. Ironically the link you posted has the op sayimg pretty much what i am.

Anyway i appologise for my snarkyiness. I have leart my lesson, linux is not for someone like myself who just wants things to work, and i acknowledge i don't have the google skilz to get it done.

You'll be pleased to hear i have sulked off back to osx.
Quote:lesson, linux is not for someone like myself who just wants things to work

Some of your points are valid (but not constructive as you already concluded) but I think this conclusion is not 100% correct.
Linux IS for everyone IF it is packaged by someone for your specific solution/hw. In the case of win/osx the hw provider makes sure it is working but with linux sometimes the community have to do it.

If someonne was willing to upload a clonezilla DVD with linux & xbmc for your exact HW you would be up and running in 20min.

My own conclusion regarding Linux is that unless you have unlimited time and interest you need to get HW that other people already have working without issues. Next problem is that the HW should not be too old or too new...
I guess my main frustration is that I have an ATV with sams linux image on and its just so fast and smooth. I just wanted that on the mini but its just not straight forward.

With just ubuntu on the mini and nothing else the fan runs hot, so I have to give up on that one!

Ah well.

Again sorry for my sharpness.
Stay tuned for an XBMC Client / Server OS for a multitude platform target.
Ah, now we are talking! (Don't forget my crystal HD though Smile )
garyi Wrote:I guess my main frustration is that I have an ATV with sams linux image on and its just so fast and smooth. I just wanted that on the mini but its just not straight forward.

With just ubuntu on the mini and nothing else the fan runs hot, so I have to give up on that one!

Ah well.

Again sorry for my sharpness.

I am wondering about the same thing. I love my ATV1 XBMC setup.

I am wondering which Mac Mini (how old or new of a Mac Mini Model) could do the same with or without the Crystal HD?