Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do I get XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK I have successfully installed Ubuntu I have now followed the instructions as provided by the installing xbmc on unbuntu wiki and from the xbmc download page for installing XBMC on linux and its failing to do so telling me 'Some indexed files failed to download' and packages 404 not found.

I really don't like linux.
Come on linux geeks let me in, why can I not install XBMC?

Is the latest ubuntu not allowed or something?

Why is there not simply a download button? This is why linux will never succeed, honestly.
install the unstable ppa
haha, thanks for that.

to be clear I am copying and pasting lines from the xbmc linux wiki which is so complicated for non users as to be impenetrable.

I am installing fedora now, in the hopes of more success.
The XBMC live CD worked a treat but I don't understand why anyone would want a CD spinning in their living room all the time.
Fedora not recognised as a boot volume on mac.

sigh. I give up.
So live is supposed to give me options yes? From the wiki:

'Boot your computer using the XBMC Live disc you just created and follow the instructions on the screen.'

Well I booted from disk and its loaded XBMC.

So where are these instructions?
Quote:So where are these instructions?

Keep your eyes on the screen.

Quote:Is the latest ubuntu not allowed or something?
There is no stable ppa for 11.04. Try 10.04
vikjon0 Wrote:Keep your eyes on the screen.

There is no stable ppa for 11.04. Try 10.04

Not to complicate things, but if you add the ppa for 10.10 to 11.04 it works just fine.
On my mac mini the live CD booted straight into XBMC nothing on screen, so I tried in my iMac and sure enough at the beginning is some options (this does not show on the mini, I promise!)

I had a USB thumbdrive in as well, the plan being to install into the thumbdrive.

It checked the disk and failed at loading 13, said the disk might be bad, So I re burnt, same thing, so I choose the option to check the disk, and it told me Ubuntu was not on disk and to try another disk.

Suffice to say I have been pissing around with linux for over 5 hours and am now thoroughly fed up. I am off to have a bath, and cleanse myself of linux.

I officially give up, I have stuck my mid 2009 mini back in its rightful place, the 1.6core duo I have been ready to smash with an axe has OSX running back on it for my son and the ATV2 I bought last week will be on ebay tonight.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
zepfan Wrote:Not to complicate things, but if you add the ppa for 10.10 to 11.04 it works just fine.

At the fear of sounding like a complete moron, how do I do that? :confused2:
If you have a Mac, why don't you just download it for Mac?
Dogbone Wrote:At the fear of sounding like a complete moron, how do I do that? :confused2:

Just change Natty to maverick when it's added.