Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Accessing HDD remotely from XMBC on Apple TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I am looking for some help please.

I have recently purchased an Apple TV2 which I have jail-broken successfully and loaded XMBC to it (big achievement for me!)

I am trying to remotely access my Samsung HDD which is currently plugged in to my Apple Airport Extreme. I am able to access this on my Macbook pro, but just cannot get the XMBC to connect with the HDD.

I have tried many different approaches of 'add source' through the SMB functionality using differing source identites. Some of them seem to be trying to access the HDD (the light on the front flashes and I can hear it whiring)... but I keep getting an error message that say's either 'Broken Pipe' or 'Connection Timed out' or 'Share not available'

This is frustrating me to death!!

Please can someone give me some advice or a step by step guide to getting this to work!! Please guys!

Many thanks
simmsy100 Wrote:Hi there,

I am looking for some help please.

I have recently purchased an Apple TV2 which I have jail-broken successfully and loaded XBMC to it (big achievement for me!)

I am trying to remotely access my Samsung HDD which is currently plugged in to my Apple Airport Extreme. I am able to access this on my Macbook pro, but just cannot get the XBMC to connect with the HDD.

I have tried many different approaches of 'add source' through the SMB functionality using differing source identites. Some of them seem to be trying to access the HDD (the light on the front flashes and I can hear it whiring)... but I keep getting an error message that say's either 'Broken Pipe' or 'Connection Timed out' or 'Share not available'

This is frustrating me to death!!

Please can someone give me some advice or a step by step guide to getting this to work!! Please guys!

Many thanks

You want the iOS subforum for the AppleTV 2 (black) - http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=137

The AppleTV 1 (silver) is a totally different beast, which is why you see some threads talking about AppleTV here.

But since this is about the Airport Extreme router, it really doesn't matter where you ask this question.

I believe you need to specify a username, and I think it's either the name you gave the APE for the wireless network or the name for the router itself. My normal setup includes a hard drive shared via APE, but I'm in the process of moving right now so it's not set up or else I would be able to give you exact step-by-step instructions.
thanks mate, enjoy the move.... if you get chance to have a look after the move, please let me know!

Many thanks
i never had success adding through the SMB functionality either.

When you "add source" scroll to the bottom of the list and select "add network location". From there you will need to type either the ip address or the network name of your airport followed by /disk name. (disk name is better, in case the IP changes) Use this format:
airport name.local/disk name

mine for example, is AirportExtreme.local/iTunes Movies

The shared folder should be the folder that has your movies. If it's in a subfolder then enter as such "folder/subfolder"

Mine was just Movies

Then type username and password and click "add". You should then have a source selection listed as you just described and should be able to click and add.