Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX Help Request] XBMC runs slow in Ubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whenever I install Ubuntu 10.04 or 11.04 and then install XBMC (through the repository) XBMC drastically lags. At the main menu it takes about 10 seconds or more for a key press to take effect.

I'm running on a Shuttle XS35GT with 2GB RAM and a 64GB SSD.
If I remove Ubuntu and install using the Live image (no desktop) it works fine.

Any ideas?
install proper gl drivers, not mesa software emulation...
I'm having the same issue on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2194.

Here is the information about my graphics (from lspci)
Code:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M] [1002:5a62] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:ff10]
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 66 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
    Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Region 1: I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
    Region 2: Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at c0020000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel modules: radeon, radeonfb

As far as I know, I'm using the gl-flrx drivers, but I could be wrong. Since this laptop is about 5 years old, it may not have the proper drivers available anymore. If you can point me to where to look (to see which drivers I'm using) that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I should point out that since there's no PPA for Natty, I built XBMC from the source code on or about July 30, 2011.

Thanks and have a great daySmile
Patrick.
you probably don't run fglrx drivers, and they most probably won't support your hardware anymore.

you can check like this:
lsmod | grep fgl
patrick, try the live CD first. and why does it have to be natty?
JellyBean Wrote:Whenever I install Ubuntu 10.04 or 11.04 and then install XBMC (through the repository) XBMC drastically lags. At the main menu it takes about 10 seconds or more for a key press to take effect.

I'm running on a Shuttle XS35GT with 2GB RAM and a 64GB SSD.
If I remove Ubuntu and install using the Live image (no desktop) it works fine.

Any ideas?

Install unity 2d from the software center and use unity 2d as your default session manager, turn off all desktop effects except for window decoration then reboot.

PatrickDickey Wrote:Also, I should point out that since there's no PPA for Natty, I built XBMC from the source code on or about July 30, 2011.

Thanks and have a great daySmile
Patrick.

Change the repository name to maverick and you don't have to build from source. Wink
Hannes The Hun Wrote:patrick, try the live CD first. and why does it have to be natty?

I guess it doesn't *HAVE* to be Natty. I just assumed (yes, I know about the dangers) that there would be a version released for Natty, since it's out. I've never changed the repository information, so I'll try that after I figure out how to do it.

As for the fglrx drivers, you're right. I don't have them (and most likely won't, unless I install them from an older version of Ubuntu). So, I'll try uninstalling XBMC and installing it from the Maverick Repositories.

Have a great daySmile
Patrick.
If you have a Radeon that ATI no longer supports (such as the 200M), you cannot use the fglrx driver - not even the legacy one offered by AMD/ATI, as it's not compatible with x-servers beyond what comes with Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron).

The good news is that the open-source Mesa drivers have really come a long way in the past year, and even support full OpenGL 3D hardware rendering on most cards. The drivers that ship with Ubuntu, however, are a bit dated. There are two PPA's available, however, that should help:

For the latest, bleeding-edge drivers (might be unstable, use with caution):
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

For less-fresh, but more stable drivers:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

If you encounter problems with either of these drivers, you can easily "roll back" to the standard Ubuntu driver by issuing the following command (depending on which PPA you need to roll back from):
sudo ppa-purge ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
or
sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

Hope this helps!