Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: new mobo please help...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This was my build:

Case: Fractal Define R3 (80)
PSU: Corsair 500w (43)
CPU: AMD CPU Athlon II 250 (45)
MB: ASRock 880GM-LE (50)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1300MHz Dual Channel (43)
Flash Drive: 8GB Corsair CMFVY3-8GB, Flash Voyager USB 3.0
HDD1: 2TB Hitachi cool spin 5k3000 (53)
HDD2: 2TB Hitachi cool spin 5k3000 (53)

I set it up, the fan span, the proccessor seemed like it was running, blue LED came on, flash USB was receiving power as was PC keyboard... connected properly to monitor but NO signal.

I can only presume on boards GPU/Mobo was is faulty. I have real problems selecting mobos since supposedley every selection I made before was wrong even though the names were very similar (e.g. thought i picked the write ASUS one.. BOOM wrong). Therefore I am calling out for some help.

Can someone please suggest to me a new motherboard which works with unRAID and the hardware i already have... from:
**pcworld.co.uk,
**box.co.uk
scan.co.uk?

I'm not advertising.. these are just the only sites which i trust. the store i got the mobo from (crescent electronics are being iffy about accepting the return).

Thank you.. and sorry for any time wasted. i know ive been posting a lot of topics but im really stupid.
who said it was the mobo?

try another USB Flash Drive,,,

booting from USB3 can be the culprit!
Just because there's no signal doesn't immediately mean that the onboard graphics are the issue. Also, just because the fans are spinning etc, doesn't mean everything's running correctly.

If you have a chassis speaker, I suggest you connect that to the correct header, and listen for any beeps that occur during power up. If the system emits one, short beep, then it's happy. If you don't have a speaker, and can't get one from another system, then you can look for other clues to the machine state.

A common one is the lights for caps lock etc on the keyboard (this works best on the old PS/2 keyboards). If these flash once, then the system is probably happy. (Note that because of the lack of standardisation in USB keyboards, don't be too disheartened if your USB keyboard doesn't do this)

If you're not able to ensure that the system is booting properly, you should find a different monitor and cable to test (or another known working device to ensure the current monitor and cable work).

If you know that the monitor and cable works, but aren't sure if the system is booting properly, you can do a few things like unplugging any unnecessary stuff and reseating the RAM. Definitely try booting without the USB flash drive plugged in.
the usb is fine.. its no signal whatsoever loading. no bios. nada.

i've done most of the stuff you've said such as reseating the RAM. i'll follow ur other suggestions ASAP. to reference, the fans are spinning, the keyboard is showing power and the flash drive is showing power (it has a little blue thing which flashes Smile).

thank you for both of your helps, i'll definitley try out all your advice but i have tried most of that. i'll check the keyboard thing ASAP... but power is coming to the keyboard via caps lock etc.

the monitor is fine IMO. i've actually been using the monitor a lot with my other built PC for the past year. it stil works with that one, just not this one.

if the mobo is really bad, which mobo shall i get?

again really appreciate all your advice and i'll put it into action ASAP.
wait a sec...

try to boot without any USB device plug'ed in...

Does it post??
lots of things could be your problem.

Minimize the components in the system to the minimum RAM, CPU and power only and see if you can POST and get to the BIOS. If that fails, swap the ram with known working ram, if that fails it is likely your MB, cpu or power. Assuming it works start adding components until you find the failing component. just based on my prior experiences I bet you have a ram problem.

Good luck
ive tried to boot with no usb. nothing comes up.

its already the minimum RAM (one 4GB stick DDR3), CP and power at the moment and i don't see anything to "post". the monitor detects no signal.

btw j/w, could i have ruined the mobo by turning it on without having the RAM in.. my dad it yesterday. i doubt it but just wondering.
nah,,, not at all,,,, it takes more then that to screw a mobo up,,,

cant u take another DDR3 stick somewhere!?

in your friends PC perhaps Tongue

and try with it
sure ill try the RAM somewhere else if i can find a place to put..

but even with no RAM, should it do something?

hmmm what RAM should i be getting for the ASROCk.. maybe i bought the wrong ram. i got DDR 3 1333 hz i think.

btw i get NO beeps on start up just checked from the chassis speaker.
i put in an old school keyboard and all 3 lights light up but i cant change any of them (e.g. caps lock)
So, all the keyboard lights light up, and stay lit? This is a bad sign.

If you power up the board with no RAM, the chassis speaker should scream at you. You should try this, as you've had no luck with other suggestions. Don't worry, you can't damage anything by doing this. You can also try seating the RAM in a different slot(s); sometimes this helps, though I've never been able to figure out exactly why.
mistake i don't have a chassis speaker according to my dad (hes doing the tests now).

the keyboard lights ALL light up and can't unlight. Sad

already tried seating the RAM elsewhere.

mobo change time guys? any suggestions. i appreciate ur efforts to try and ressurect this mobo but looks like its faulty Sad.
u could still contact ASROCK support in the mean time!
i feel like just getting a refund and buying a new mobo. im desperate to get the server up and running ASAP.
Did you try running it with no RAM?
yup nothing comes up Sad
Pages: 1 2