Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
There is no existing hardware decoder that can handle hi10p. And it's not likely that any vendor that supplies hardware deocders (vdpau, vda, vtb, chd, etc) will ever support hi10p.
(2012-08-23, 16:21)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]There is no existing hardware decoder that can handle hi10p. And it's not likely that any vendor that supplies hardware deocders (vdpau, vda, vtb, chd, etc) will ever support hi10p.

I expected as much, but am i correct that an "underpowered" CPU like my lowly Atom D2700 might be able to handle it by offloading parts of the decoding to the GPU either through CUDA or hopefully by accessing some hardware accelerated decoding functions directly?
That assumes that there is existing code that can offload parts of the decoding... of which there is none.
(2012-08-23, 16:44)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]That assumes that there is existing code that can offload parts of the decoding... of which there is none.

Oh well, I guess when that time comes people might implement this (or laugh at the suckers who bought underpowered hardware Wink )

This hi10p stupidity boggles my mind.

Just wait for H.265, which is guaranteed to get hardware acceleration unlike an old production level/non-consumer standard like hi10p.
I also don't get all the hi10p rage, but I recently got a video in hi10p from a friend that I couldn't play on my ION system. So I decided to look at ffmpeg multithreading support in the latest xmbc trunk for fun.

I found that while everything was there and compiled correctly, xbmc wouldn't use threading. Apparantly, this is due to a check in xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecFFmpeg.cpp (or something) to set the number of threads. When hints.software is false (because ION == vdpau I guess) it will set the number of threads to use to 1

By removing that condition, or better yet use the m_bSoftware instead it works flawlessly. m_bSoftware is set automatically to false when dealing with certain unaccelerated profiles it seems.

However playback was still choppy, but after also removing the THREAD_SLICE restriction (in the same file) playback worked like a charm for a 720p ~5 mb/s avg bitrate video on my slooow intel atom, so that's something I'll take. Use at your own risk though, e.g., full threading (!THREAD_SLICE) was disabled by the devs as it caused crashes on vdpau systems. Though I havent noticed any so far...

Hope this is somewhat clear and sorry for not giving any line numbers but you should find them quite easily if you were so inclined.
(2012-08-23, 17:32)ilm1 Wrote: [ -> ]After also removing the THREAD_SLICE restriction (in the same file) playback worked like a charm for a 720p ~5 mb/s avg bitrate video on my slooow intel atom, so that's something I'll take. Use at your own risk though, e.g., full threading (!THREAD_SLICE) was disabled by the devs as it caused crashes on vdpau systems. Though I havent noticed any so far...

Which atom are you using?

Anyway TBH this has all been mostly academic for me so far, all my files are more vanilla than this, I just read somewhere about the potential possibility of having all processors on your system help out 'where they can'.
[/i]
I have the first gen. intel atom 330 (dual core, 1.6Ghz; at least I think it was one of the first). So your later intel atom D2700 should be even better I guess, perhaps even bluray bitrate stuff Big Grin. My 4 cores (2x2 due to hyperthreading stuff) are each about 60-80% utilized.

Don't know much about xbmc's code, but what I can gather from dvdcodecffmpeg, not using m_bSoftware might be a small bug in xbmc (m_bSoftware is defined, but not all occurences of hints.software are yet replaced). Pure guess, so I might be totally wrong (dont shoot me Wink ).

I don't know how the data is stored, but would it be possible to just ignore the extra 2 bits and treat it like an 8-bit file? Like sending it through a "shredder" that shifts the extra bits of before playing it. Or is vital data needed for decoding in those extra bits?
(2012-08-25, 11:37)[vEX] Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know how the data is stored, but would it be possible to just ignore the extra 2 bits and treat it like an 8-bit file? Like sending it through a "shredder" that shifts the extra bits of before playing it. Or is vital data needed for decoding in those extra bits?

It doesn't work that way. It's not just an "extra" something, it's a different profile of h.264. Before we had Hi10P support, XBMC would either not show anything or have large color blotch artifacts on the screen.
I've just switched from Daniela's XBMC HD audio build to the latest nightly, no luck on Hi10P for me. My E350 just shows a black screen. When I set my decoding to auto select, I get a 10 fps slideshow.

The XBMC HD audio patched version showed fluent video (albeit with artifacts, but somewhat watchable). I hope xbmc will someday be able to play Hi10P on Fusion based platforms. The GPU has had enough power for anything I threw at it up untill now. No more anime for me? :'(
(2012-09-25, 19:29)Raytestrak Wrote: [ -> ]I've just switched from Daniela's XBMC HD audio build to the latest nightly, no luck on Hi10P for me. My E350 just shows a black screen. When I set my decoding to auto select, I get a 10 fps slideshow.

The XBMC HD audio patched version showed fluent video (albeit with artifacts, but somewhat watchable). I hope xbmc will someday be able to play Hi10P on Fusion based platforms. The GPU has had enough power for anything I threw at it up untill now. No more anime for me? :'(

My dual-core 2.20 GHz Opteron can't handle Hi10p video decoding, so I think an E-350 would be even worse off.
(2012-09-25, 19:41)jwcalla Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-25, 19:29)Raytestrak Wrote: [ -> ]I've just switched from Daniela's XBMC HD audio build to the latest nightly, no luck on Hi10P for me. My E350 just shows a black screen. When I set my decoding to auto select, I get a 10 fps slideshow.

My dual-core 2.20 GHz Opteron can't handle Hi10p video decoding, so I think an E-350 would be even worse off.

Following this guide, my E350 plays anime that xbmc can't handly perfectly in MPC-HC. I don't have Haali installed, so I tried the LAV splitter.

Only thing is, I don't want to use an external player with xbmc.

Sorry for you but hi10p will never had hardware acceleration, because commercial release will never use it Confused

(2012-09-25, 19:41)jwcalla Wrote: [ -> ]My dual-core 2.20 GHz Opteron can't handle Hi10p video decoding, so I think an E-350 would be even worse off.

you should have a problem, my laptop with a Core 2 Duo T5500(1.66ghz) run fine with Hi10p 720p animes and movies(that i encode my self) in xbmc, in mphc with CCCP 1080p hi10p are also fine.
(2012-10-13, 13:14)FurioN666 Wrote: [ -> ]

Sorry for you but hi10p will never had hardware acceleration, because commercial release will never use it Confused

Like I said, with LAV filters in MPC-HC, Hi10P plays flawlessly on my E350.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48