Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Lion 10.7 Multiple User Accounts Freeze
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

I've had XBMC working great for a long time now on Snow Leopard, with no problems. I upgraded to Lion a couple days ago, and (with the exception of the remote not waking the TV for some reason), everything is working fine how I used to use it.

However I wanted to take advantage of the multiple user remote login ability of Lion so I could work on the system while someone was watching TV, so I created a second user account. But when I launch XBMC in the second user account, it does this weird freezing thing where it stops responding, but if (out of full screen) I click focus on something else, and then click on XBMC again it will work for a second or two, then seemingly freeze again.

I tried deleting the user account and making another.
I tried deleting XBMC and reinstalling, both from the main account and the second account.
I tried giving the second account normal privileges and admin privileges.

Interestingly this exact same behavior afflicts PLEX as well, and again only on the second account.

Any ideas are welcome!!
Thanks
might you be running two copies of XBMC, one in main account, the other in you second account? Don't do that Smile
I don't think its running in both accounts - I can't see it on activity monitor. However on that line of thought I logged out of the main account completely and voila it worked fine in the second account. How can I turn XBMC off completely in the main account?
rubaj Wrote:I don't think its running in both accounts - I can't see it on activity monitor. However on that line of thought I logged out of the main account completely and voila it worked fine in the second account. How can I turn XBMC off completely in the main account?

Don't auto-launch it and exit it if it is running.
Its not auto launching and not running visibly, nor can I find it in the activity monitor. I shut down xbmchelper as well.

Something about having the main account running is gumming it up in the second account. I'll start experimenting with other services I have running and see if one of them is causing the problem.
I've figured out the offending program: Transmission.
When Transmission is running, XBMC goes all freezy (but only from the second account, oddly).

How annoying.
It turns out its not just Transmission, it just takes longer to freeze when Transmission isnt running. I guess its not going to be viable to run XBMC in a second account.
I've done a lot of fiddling with this for the last couple days and I've come to the conclusion that the problem is using a virtual desktop with screen sharing while XBMC is running on another account.

Hopefully this is just a bug somewhere and will get fixed eventually, and not a limitation of the system.
Tested it out and same happens to me. Could be that XBMC is using a system resource of some kind that can't be shared between two sessions?
from what i can tell it is running xbmc in both locations, at least that is what i see happening
ok i think everything works if i disable allow remote to start xbmc, so far so good

and i may have spoke too soon!
Did disabling allow remote to start xbmc help you?
nope, i thought so at first but no. kind of a bummer because i ran home server 2011 prior to my flood last weekend and that handled it no problem
I seem to be having the same problem on Lion. I have fast user switching enabled. Every time I use screen sharing to control XBMC, it freezes. This is without logging into another account - I am just sharing the same screen...
Same problem here. Can't figure out whats causing the problem. Anyone heard a workaround or an upcoming fix?
Pages: 1 2