Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: choppy playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an Atom 330 nvidia ion itx mobo. I'm using tvheadend as my backend with an IPTV transport.

I'm able to watch all channels but having difficulty with HD channels, 720p and higher.

When I watch HD channels I see the dcoder is h264_vdpau-vdpau but the video is very choppy with 5 dropped frames per second.

When I watch non-HD channels I see the decoder at ff-mpegvideo_vdpau-vdpau. I get about 2 dropped framed per second.

When I watch HD mkv, mpg, or avi movies I see the decoder as: ff-h264_vdpau-vdpau and see about 5 dropped frames per second.

When I install the team-xbmc, watching movies is very smooth. Is there something with the current 11.0 xmbc-pvr build?

thanks
TV server and XBMC both sit on that ATOM 330?
Yes on the Atom 330 I have tvheadend + xbmc-pvr running.

Is that an issue?

I've had team-xbmc running on that same machine and no problems with any video playback.

I also have MythTV on this same machine and all the IPTV channels load without any choppy playback using the vdpau mythtv decoders.
There shouldn't be any difference regarding video playback between xbmc mainline and pvr. Can you please specify the versions and repos you installed from.
Any way to see CPU utilization during playback?
I switched back to the team-xbmc and things are much more stable now. No more dropped frames. I had to switch back to mythtv since tvheadend with xbmc-pvr (while a very good and clean integration) provided choppy playback.

I used xbmc-pvr
2:11.0-pvr+odk42~git20110718.b485416-0ubuntu1~ppa+odk42~maverick

I used team-xbmc
2:10.1~ppa1~maverick
There's been a lot of changes in lower layers like threads during the last weeks in mainline. It might be already fixed in source.
mythboy Wrote:2:11.0-pvr+odk42~git20110718.b485416-0ubuntu1~ppa+odk42~maverick

I used team-xbmc
2:10.1~ppa1~maverick
you're comparing dharma to the current eden dev tree. glitches like that are completely possible. it'll also be fixed before eden is released.

also, did you try the deinterlace setting "ion optimised" and "vdpau temporal"?