Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Dharma no UI sounds with HDMI?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey folks, I was using the optical out on my Acer 3610 ever since I got it, but recently I decided to move my sound system elsehwere and keep the Acer in my room for watching movies and tv shows before I go to bed. Everything works fine but I can't seem to get UI sounds working with HDMI. All movies, videos, tv shows output sound just fine but UI sounds don't seem to want to work.

I tried this trick, created a file called .asoundrc in the home/xbmc folder and had "pcm.!default {type plugslave {pcm "hdmi"}}" in it but still no luck. Got the steps from this website.

http://redherring2.wordpress.com/2009/06...tup-guide/

So any ideas guys?
mobious Wrote:Everything works fine but I can't seem to get UI sounds working with HDMI. All movies, videos, tv shows output sound just fine but UI sounds don't seem to want to work.
do you mean the standard sounds works fine, but hd sounds over hdmi is not?

have you install the latest firmware for your hdmi card? have install the latest hd audio codec (High Definition Audio Codecs)? have you select the correct sound device in the control panel?
No I mean movies and everything, hd and standard work fine. It's just xbmc itself that doesn't output any sound. Like when you navigate xbmc you should hear various sounds and such, but I can't seem to get it to work with hdmi. I have selected hdmi as the default audio device in the settings menu. I don't know what else to do.
okay!
if you want to include navigation sounds, you can go to system>setting>skin>add-on to setup skin navigation sounds or switch to another skin.

are you using keyboard or mouse to navigate xbmc? you have to use the keyboard to navigate xbmc to hear navigation sounds
bluray Wrote:okay!
if you want to include navigation sounds, you can go to system>setting>skin>add-on to setup skin navigation sounds or switch to another skin.

are you using keyboard or mouse to navigate xbmc? you have to use the keyboard to navigate xbmc to hear navigation sounds

They are on buddy, nothing has changed. I use Transparency and with optical out I get navigation sounds but with HDMI I don't get any navigation sounds.
er?

HDMI nav sounds? EASY

What you need is to CREATE a /etc/asound.conf with following configuration:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
  slave {
   pcm "hdmi"
  }
}
I promise this will work, but press pause too much and or music and nav sounds are lost, this is a 50 year old bug with a patch that team xbmc never took up, becaue they are working on AE (audio engine)

It has absolutely zero to do with skin settings. Never in more than 3 years and I have chased this down to hell and back.

reboot or restart xbmc
X3lectric Wrote:er?

HDMI nav sounds? EASY

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
  slave {
   pcm "hdmi"
  }
}
I promise this will work, but press pause too much and or music and nav sounds are lost, this is a 50 year old bug with a patch that team xbmc never took up, becaue they are working on AE (audio engine)

It has absolutely zero to do with skin settings. Never in more than 3 years and I have chased this down to hell and back.

reboot or restart xbmc

I already had that but come to think of it my formatting of the code was wrong, I will give it another try and update you guys on what happens. Thanks!

HDMI nav sounds? EASY

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
  slave {
   pcm "hdmi"
  }
}
i use the same code and it work fine with hdmi.

X3lectric Wrote:It has absolutely zero to do with skin settings. Never in more than 3 years and I have chased this down to hell and back.
that is what i thought till my sound disappeared one day. i switched it to another skin, and the sounds work again
bluray Wrote:i use the same code and it work fine with hdmi.

that is what i thought till my sound disappeared one day. i switched it to another skin, and the sounds work again

Perhaps I should clear this up, sounds return after a reboot or xbmc restart.

there's a quick fix, with changing pause for play on keymaps and importing them form xbmc install dirs to local userdata but this is not a definite fix.
X3lectric Wrote:Perhaps I should clear this up, sounds return after a reboot or xbmc restart.
i tried all of that before i switched to another skins. machine can be very strange sometime

HDMI nav sounds? EASY

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
  slave {
   pcm "hdmi"
  }
}

reboot or restart xbmc

It worked! Thank you so much! So you said that excessive pausing might cause the sound to disappear, how would I get it back if that happens? Just reboot or what?
@ bluray

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7910

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7688

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7338

I could go on, result unfixed until you compile with gnif's AE branch or AE branch is merged into main (perhaps EDEN)

mobious Wrote:It worked! Thank you so much! So you said that excessive pausing might cause the sound to disappear, how would I get it back if that happens? Just reboot or what?

yes if they go just bare with it until you reboot xbmc.

This happens with XBMCLive I wouldnt have a clew if this is still similar with full desktops installs.

It may vary from machine to machine but it is sure ongoing issue.

If bluray has a miracle skin please share, we could ask the dev how he /she/they bypass this issue. One thing he said his right on the money machines are temperamental, perhaps machine PMS. Oo
X3lectric Wrote:yes if they go just bare with it until you reboot xbmc.

This happens with XBMCLive I wouldnt have a clew if this is still similar with full desktops installs.

It may vary from machine to machine but it is sure ongoing issue.

If bluray has a miracle skin please share, we could ask the dev how he /she/they bypass this issue. One thing he said his right on the money machines are temperamental, perhaps machine PMS. Oo

Alright buddy again thanks so much for the help Big Grin
mobious Wrote:They are on buddy, nothing has changed. I use Transparency and with optical out I get navigation sounds but with HDMI I don't get any navigation sounds.

That's a feature...not a bug.

Me, I hate those annoying sounds.

Jerry
mobious Wrote:Alright buddy again thanks so much for the help Big Grin
No problem. Glad it works wish it was permanent as features like that can be disabled in xbmc settings if you dont like nav sounds...
Pages: 1 2