Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do I get XBMC Live to connect to wifi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I installed XBMC Live to an EEE 1000HE netbook. I can not get any networking. I have searched and looked at the wiki but I can't or don't have the knowledge to figure out how to get networking up and running.

Please help me. I'm 67 years old and not the most tech savy person. I don't understand linux at all. Please. I've spent 8 hours working on this. Please help.

I just want to make it so I can connect an external hard drive to the netbook, the netbook to the computer in the living room, and get the weather, imdb, and other meta data things. I thought this would be as easy as when I set it up on my xbox 5 years ago but this has all been very frustrating.
Hi, you need to edit manually the archive /etc/networking/interfaces and put the correct info. By default XBMC Live does not came with wireless on
edit the file /etc/networking/interfaces (with vi, e.g switch to command prompt Ctrl+F1 o F2 and edit the file , sudo vi /etc/networking/interfaces )
uncomment the lines that you need
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "your network SSID without quotes"
wpa-psk "password without quotes"

Regardig the basic command of vi (pres i for add text, ESC to switch to erase mode, x for erase text , : to swich to save and exit command, e.g ":wq" to write and exit.

I hope that it work for you
W I C D I say W I C D you can search on the forums you can search on google but you sure not gonna do that, so. (YMCA tune)

There is even a NEW ADOOOONS OOOOONNNNN http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=wicd

SEARCH on teh forums, you gotta serach on the forums, you know you can find, your lazy behind, when you search on the for u m s...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=wicd

You not the first to ask, nor will you be the last, cause you lot just cant be bothered.... YMCA
Thanks for the help.

Now X3lectric, I appreciate the link to the add-on but I'd like to point out how clever your YMCA insults are.

You see, I did search. A lot. Why don't you go search for this? Don't put it in the highly technical terms. Type in the stuff that someone new to all this would do. You know what you will find?

The most common posts you find are people who tell you something like "this has been asked before search" which is just their way of getting a higher post count. There are dozens of threads where that's the only reply. So you go to one, it tells you to search, you search, find a post, it tells you to search, search, find, search in an infinite loop of unhelpfulness.

Now you see, you have probably helped someone besides me. If you google "xbmc wifi" right now this post is one of the first to come up. So thanks for the links.

The second most common posts are stuff that a newbie can't figure out. I've never used linux. If you've never used linux every time terms like distro or sudo or package and a dozen other things pop up that means another search.

Finally, if people keep asking and needing help maybe it should be obvious that the information isn't obvious? Why don't you get off your lazy behind and go whip up a non-linux user newbie guide and promote the hell out of it? Maybe go check out the wiki and fix it to be less technical and more newbie friendly? No? Okay, just going to be a smart ass?

Thanks again.
hell I gave you the links to answer your question and you complain I was sarcastic with a little singalong?

Im not dismissing amount of hours you put into it, I have put nealry 3 years and I search and look at forums.

All and all, considering, have a little sense of humour, I could have given you ziltch.

Im a noob as well that doesnt exclude anyone form not knowing how to use internet and forums, even my father inlaw (late 60's going on 70) who knows ziltch about computers period know how to use the internet.

So if my little sarcasm offended you consider this, After 48 hours and counting with insomnia , I have to keep some sense of humour, i see it as my pay for doing this for free.

anywho apologies if it offended, Im not that insensitive).
I have to agree - X3lectric, you were a little rough there to a newbie asking for help.

I remember asking for help on getting sound effects working in XBMC because they didn't (movies and music did have sound)

Searching for "no sound" brings up a zillion articles about issues with video.
I tried many iterations of "no sound xbmc" "no sound skin" "no sound confluence" "no sound effect".....
but list lists were long and probably I'd find the answer at the bottom of page 512.

1 person just responded whith
.asoundrc

Another person told me how to create it and where it goes
*not complicated at all - took like 3 minutes of their time

….
anyways you calling someone lazy and saying they don't search on forums or google nor will they is kind of like slapping them upside the head

Go easy on single digit posters dude
He just hates it when it's directed at him.

Just click on the little red triangle button to report it to the mods. Image
Or if you want to damage his ego even more, there's the "Balance of Justice" logo where you can affect his "reputation": Image
-
Jimmy: What kind of security do you have enabled on your WIFI?
None, WEP, WPA, etc? That kind of affects the solution.
@darkscout: lol, I though I was the only one.. Smile
@X3: Thanks in advance for the bad rep you're going to give me 'anonymously', again, but fortunately for me I don't care.

@Jimmy: another relatively simple guide: http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/wifi-onder-li...figureren/. Title is Dutch, but the article is English.

Unfortunately it seems XBMC Live has not included a wireless network manager yet. I heard somewhere that it was due, but I'm not sure at all about that.