Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Eden build available
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Waven Wrote:Ah, I see, then I have to enable it manually.

So the problem is (example with my settings) if subtitles are activated globally and you play a movie in german and it has only a english subtitle, the subtile will be displayed whatever is set in the LAV settings?
But if the movie has a german subtitle too LAV selects the german forced subtitle and only this items (if there are any) gets displayed.
so i bet you want a new advancedsettings where you can set the subtitle in it and it use this language if the file have it.
tiben20 Wrote:so i bet you want a new advancedsettings where you can set the subtitle in it and it use this language if the file have it.
LOL yes please if that's the best way to implement recognition of the 'forced' flag in mkv's.
steelman1991 Wrote:LOL yes please if that's the best way to implement recognition of the 'forced' flag in mkv's.
im doing some git stuff and ill try to add this right after
Well, lotta movement in this thread today.... just got home, and, after reading i must confess i feel bit disheartened. I'm not the guy who speaks about others intentions or reasons without knowing about for real, and since i have no kind of friendship or rellation with any of the XBMC team, other than saying i'm sad, i can't say anything else about them.
But i don't want to finish this post without saying what i feel is an obligation: many thanks to tiben and madshi for their time, and invested effort. Obviously nothing at all can be said to them but this.
tiben20 Wrote:so i bet you want a new advancedsettings where you can set the subtitle in it and it use this language if the file have it.

Big Grin not really, it's working fine for me as it is since I always ripped the german subs too. And otherwise I have a button on the remote to easily disable the subtitles.
I think recognition of forced subtitles would be the cleaner way as the advancedsettings thing.
Reading this also makes me a sad panda, and I have nothing but praise for Tiben and Madshi for there efforts (especially for Tiben ressurecting and making further improvements).

Part of my understanding is the reason DSPlayer died in the first place was because some of the XBMC team made it rather hard for a single OS branch to exist officially, if it didn't act almost uniform to XBMC elsewhere. Following on from this I noticed the response to people asking for updates for 10bit compatibility was 'when we get round to it'.

For a media centre, this sort of attitude makes me really sad, as it feels like, at some level, at least some of the team of the project have kinda forgotten the whole point of a media centre; to playback media.
This should be it's primary goal and focus, playing back all media well, and it feels like at some level, some of the team have forgotten that, possibly in thier drive for something that acts/works identically regardless of whether you're on a Linux or Windows build.
That shouldn't matter, the focus should be on the best playback possible for each OS, regardless of the UI or non-core features (seriously, PVR functionality over HD Audio and certain media format compatibility?!).

It does make me rather sad.

Tiben/Madshi - please continue your work in bringing us an XBMC branch with the best playback quality and compatibility you can muster, in many way your efforts are truer to the 'real' nature of a media player than anything else which could be done, bar updating XBMC's main playback engine.
zeerow2k Wrote:anyone else having problems installing the aeon mq3 skin with the latest build?
keeps on crashing xbmc when i install from zip.
Confused

no one else having this problem?
Waven Wrote:Ah, I see, then I have to enable it manually.

So the problem is (example with my settings) if subtitles are activated globally and you play a movie in german and it has only a english subtitle, the subtile will be displayed whatever is set in the LAV settings?
But if the movie has a german subtitle too LAV selects the german forced subtitle and only this items (if there are any) gets displayed.
Sorry Waven missed this one.

What you describe and what you told us regarding the global default setting tells you that it basically doesn't matter what the LAV filters settings are, or for that matter what the preferred language setting is, DSPlayer will display any subtitle track that is included in the mkv file (don't know how it effects external subs all my forced streams are included in the mkv).

Bascially what we are saying is that your LAV filter settings are a waste of time - at the moment. The only thing to have any effect on the render and display of subtitles is the setting in the xbmc gui which only offers 2 options - on or off - nothing else.

DSPlayer/XBMC will retain settings made on individual files, therefore if a user only has a handful of forced sub files - they could manually set the subtitle setting to on in the gui for those files - with all others off by default, but I have too many to manually search through them and set-up individually - that and I'm too damn lazy.
steelman1991 Wrote:Sorry Waven missed this one.

What you describe and what you told us regarding the global default setting tells you that it basically doesn't matter what the LAV filters settings are, or for that matter what the preferred language setting is, DSPlayer will display any subtitle track that is included in the mkv file (don't know how it effects external subs all my forced streams are included in the mkv).

Bascially what we are saying is that your LAV filter settings are a waste of time - at the moment. The only thing to have any effect on the render and display of subtitles is the setting in the xbmc gui which only offers 2 options - on or off - nothing else.

DSPlayer/XBMC will retain settings made on individual files, therefore if a user only has a handful of forced sub files - they could manually set the subtitle setting to on in the gui for those files - with all others off by default, but I have too many to manually search through them and set-up individually - that and I'm too damn lazy.

LAV or Haali are not exactly a complete waste of time both can still be used to pre select a certian language or forced sub then all you need is a remote button to enable them no need to enter the OSD select the correct track and turn them on just a single button press does the job
steelman1991 Wrote:Bascially what we are saying is that your LAV filter settings are a waste of time - at the moment.
I don't agree with this. When I set the prefered audio to english in the LAV Settings then LAV splitter selects the full german subtitle (of course there has to be a englich audio track in the movie) otherwise if i set the prefered audio to german it selects the the forced german subtitle. So it definitly has an effect.

steelman1991 Wrote:DSPlayer/XBMC will retain settings made on individual files, therefore if a user only has a handful of forced sub files - they could manually set the subtitle setting to on in the gui for those files - with all others off by default, but I have too many to manually search through them and set-up individually - that and I'm too damn lazy.
Of course to manually set the setting for every file is not the solution, there has to be an automtic way.

So maybe i don't get the point. Why not set subtitles globally to on and let do the LAV splitter its magic? Because of what I wrote earlier?

Waven Wrote:So the problem is (example with my settings) if subtitles are activated globally and you play a movie in german and it has only a english subtitle, the subtile will be displayed whatever is set in the LAV settings?
Waven Wrote:I don't agree with this. When I set the prefered audio to english in the LAV Settings then LAV splitter selects the full german subtitle (of course there has to be a englich audio track in the movie) otherwise if i set the prefered audio to german it selects the the forced german subtitle. So it definitly has an effect.

Of course to manually set the setting for every file is not the solution, there has to be an automtic way.

So maybe i don't get the point. Why not set subtitles globally to on and let do the LAV splitter its magic? Because of what I wrote earlier?
Because it doesn't work and has no effect at all, the only thing that effects the display of the subtitle is the setting in the xbmc gui. Try it, as I already suggested - leave your LAV settings as they are, uncheck the subtitles setting in the xbmc, then play the file.

The only reason you are getting subtitles is because you have subtitles checked in the xbmc GUI and then set as default for all movies.

This is the whole reason why the request has been made of Tiben to have DSPlayer recognise the 'forced' subs.
>>X<<' Wrote:LAV or Haali are not exactly a complete waste of time both can still be used to pre select a certian language or forced sub then all you need is a remote button to enable them no need to enter the OSD select the correct track and turn them on just a single button press does the job
Perhaps so, but not in the context of automatic forced subtitle recognition and display. in this context they are a complete waste of time - in DSPlayer I might add
steelman1991 Wrote:Because it doesn't work and has no effect at all, the only thing that effects the display of the subtitle is the setting in the xbmc gui. Try it, as I already suggested - leave your LAV settings as they are, uncheck the subtitles setting in the xbmc, then play the file.
Yeah I already tried that and saw that no subtitles get displayed if I uncheck the subtitle option.
The only thing that I still don't understand exactly is why enabling subtitels globally and adjust the LAV settings is no option. Then as >>X<< says too the selection is working with LAV splitter.
madshi Wrote:I think I need to clear up a few things:

tiben20 and I have been working on making XBMC & madVR work together. There were still some problems to solve, but it looked like we would be able to get it to work soon enough. But then tiben20 talked to the XBMC team and the XBMC team decided that they didn't like what we did. Basically tiben20's patch was not "clean" enough for their taste.

The way XBMC currently works, it requires to be in control of Direct3D. Basically XBMC requires to be the one who decides which frames are rendered and presented how and when, taking 90% of the control away from madVR. It would be possible for me to make madVR work this way, but we'd lose *big* parts of the benefits madVR is supposed to bring. Basically I'd have to castrate madVR left and right, top and bottom to allow for a "clean" XBMC patch.

Let me ask you a question: What is the main task of an HTPC? Is it (1) rendering a nice GUI? Or is it (2) providing the best possible video quality? From what I understand, XBMC sets priority on the GUI and puts video rendering quality in the back seat. The only way to make video playback work as best as possible is to give full control to the video rendering component. If the video renderer isn't even allowed to decide when a video frame should be presented then there's no way the video renderer can guarantee smooth motion playback.

tiben20 and I were working on an XBMC patch which would have allowed madVR to have as much control as possible (still not 100%), preserving most of the benefits madVR is supposed to bring, without impacting the GUI too much. tiben20's patch took away Direct3D control from XBMC and passed it to madVR instead. The XBMC team decided that they didn't like this approach/patch. There's not much tiben20 and I can do about that.

IMHO the XBMC team should get their priorities straight. If they insist on letting the GUI code dictate everything, XBMC will never have a best quality integrated video playing quality, IMHO. You gotta decide which is more important, GUI or video playback. And then you gotta give Direct3D control to the more important component.

Of course this is only my 2 cents.

Edit: Just to make it extra clear: The reason why XBMC + madVR seemingly aren't going to happen anytime soon is neither tiben20 nor me (we both tried), the reason is the decision of the XBMC team. So if you want to complain, complain to them. It makes no sense for me to remove 70-80% of the madVR features/benefits just to make the patch acceptable to the XBMC team.

With the likes of plex and boxee being relatives of xbmc, would there ever be a situation where upon you guys Create XBMC-HD and provide an updated version of Eden with the current patches merged, such as 10bit support, HD audio, dual audio updated renderers/codecs and players etc?

I'm pretty sure the following for such a product would be the vast majority of these here forums? It seems xbmc has a vision that isnt exactly focused on media, you could change all that.

There are many examples of the lack of media focus on the forums, the current xbmc devs are not interested in the sync issues with 24p, offer no official HD audio for at least a year, no video engine upgrades (not even for frodo) as the devs stated it was to big a job? No 10bit video, no dual audio output (for those with zone 2 avrs) etc etc ...

These patches exists, people like you have spent time creating them, why can't someone look into merging the lot and creating a phenomenal product and a support forum for it... It's widely accepted and in most cases encouraged.

I think the work you guys have done, is nothing short of incredible! Thanks or everything you have done in making xbmc not just some front end GUI, but a genuine HD media player. Kep up the fantastic work Smile

Pat~
PatrickBateman Wrote:There are many examples of the lack of media focus on the forums, the current xbmc devs are not interested in the sync issues with 24p, offer no official HD audio for at least a year, no video engine upgrades (not even for frodo) as the devs stated it was to big a job? No 10bit video, no dual audio output (for those with zone 2 avrs) etc etc ...

I think people are being a bit too harsh on the XBMC devs. HD audio wasn't included because the developer of the AudioEngine branch had to take some time off and it wasn't in a state to be included when they set the feature freeze. If by 'no video engine upgrades', you mean they haven't updated FFMPEG, it's already been stated that they have numerous patches for FFMPEG that they have to apply and they weren't going to upgrade FFMPEG in the middle of a feature freeze.

They've done some major under-the-hood refactoring, which will hopefully bring about Binary Add-ons, and thus the ability to have custom players like DSPlayer to make everyone happy.