Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Eden build available
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Roman_V_M Wrote:The answer is simple - the XBMC default player "dvdplayer" is based on pretty old ffmpeg libraries and way behind as far as format support concerned. E.g. it does not support TrueHD/DTS-MA bitstreaming or h264 hi10 codec that has grown popular in anime community.

Problem with anime (and so 10bits), it's that the actual subtitles engine of DSPlayer is bad for handling a lot of anime specific stuff (ASS features).
For 10 bits anime, actualy, either the bambi73 updated 10bit version, either an external player, but not DSPlayer, at least until it has a properly working subtitles engine. But, i think tiben has a lot of other things to fix before thinking updating subtitles.
alexrose1uk Wrote:Sorry I don't currently use a secondary Display so I can't help much with this one Sad

This is only relevant if you want to Bitstream from an AV amp. I put that section in since a lot of people with dedicated HTPCs probably will do Smile

If you installed LAV Filters with the installer, you should have a folder called LAV Filters in your start menu on the Windows desktop.

If you are using a standard PC with a mouse, just move the mouse and the OnScreen Display will appear. Once the OSD is up, the video options is the button which looks like a film reel Smile
I deleted my LAV install and reinstalled it. I now have the LAV folder in the startup and selected the audio codecs as I want to bitstream to my Receiver.
It works fine in MPC-HC...
I reinstalled the current version of DSPlayer and all your .xmls. It's still not working.
Here's my debug log, hope someone has a clue of what's going on Sad

http://pastebin.com/Xijj237i

Edit: after more tests it looks like I can play .avi files but none of my .mkv movies
jpsdr Wrote:Problem with anime (and so 10bits), it's that the actual subtitles engine of DSPlayer is bad for handling a lot of anime specific stuff (ASS features).
For 10 bits anime, actualy, either the bambi73 updated 10bit version, either an external player, but not DSPlayer, at least until it has a properly working subtitles engine. But, i think tiben has a lot of other things to fix before thinking updating subtitles.

Cannot you use an external DirectShow filter for subtitles?
mortstar Wrote:I'm having a couple of problems that may well be known issues, but thought I should report them:
  • When a video finishes playing, xbmc stays in what I'd describe as 'Full Screen Video Mode' but showing only a blank screen. This is instead of going back to the XBMC GUI. I can bring up the Video OSD and other actions viable whilst in full screen mode but using any of the buttons doesn't make a difference. The only way I can get out of this is to use the 'Tab' equivalent button on my remote.

I get this problem occasionally too. Seems to be random, so difficult to catch. Always happens to me when I get to the end of a video (as opposed to me hitting stop).
fezster Wrote:I get this problem occasionally too. Seems to be random, so difficult to catch. Always happens to me when I get to the end of a video (as opposed to me hitting stop).
its going to be fixed after im done with my renovation. Just got some painting to do.
Ok cool, thanks.

I posted a couple of bugfixes a few pages back - one was for navigation sounds not being enabled after playback, and the other for the resume bookmark not being saved with DSPlayer (though resume itself works fine). Are you ok with these being posted to the forum like this, or would you prefer they were checked in somewhere on github ?
Roman_V_M Wrote:Cannot you use an external DirectShow filter for subtitles?

Unfortunately no. It seems it may be possible, but only with external subtitles files (never tested, because no point/interest for it for me).
I mistakenly had subtitles enabled in ffdshow, and they were doubling up with the subtitles in xbmc, so it is possible.
fezster Wrote:I mistakenly had subtitles enabled in ffdshow, and they were doubling up with the subtitles in xbmc, so it is possible.

But that's not a separate filter but just pasts the subtitles on the decoded frames. Which would be somewhat fine (besides being only the same resolution as the video stream) if ffdshow's subtitle engine didn't suck for fansubs.
tiben20 Wrote:its going to be fixed after im done with my renovation. Just got some painting to do.

I doubt it... After the painting is done, don't you have a bunch of movies to watch in the new theater?

:-)

Cheers
The REAL Joe
Don't give him funny ideas. The real purpose of XBMC isn't to watch movies. No, it's to tinker around with it until it's perfect, so no time to actually use it.
Wink
I thought that the later releases of the dsplayer build were supposed to address subtitle issues. I remember that being one of the top bugs that was being worked on. :confused2:
ArieS Wrote:I deleted my LAV install and reinstalled it. I now have the LAV folder in the startup and selected the audio codecs as I want to bitstream to my Receiver.
It works fine in MPC-HC...
I reinstalled the current version of DSPlayer and all your .xmls. It's still not working.
Here's my debug log, hope someone has a clue of what's going on Sad

http://pastebin.com/Xijj237i

Edit: after more tests it looks like I can play .avi files but none of my .mkv movies
Anyone could look at my log please?
ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:I thought that the later releases of the dsplayer build were supposed to address subtitle issues. I remember that being one of the top bugs that was being worked on. :confused2:

It was just a crash bug, nothing to do with updating the engine itself.
jpsdr Wrote:It was just a crash bug, nothing to do with updating the engine itself.

That is what I meant obviously crashing on subs makes it pretty hard to watch things with them.

However even the dvd player always had issues with particular types of subs and karaoke effects.

I think the real issue when it occurs is the flickering of subs in the presence of typesetting. This does not always occur but seems to do so in a number of series.

Is it possible that something such as the flickering could be corrected b/c that seems more of a bug to me than a feature. Wink

On a related note then is there really nothing that can be done in the future to improve subtitles or do we just got to complain about things like that at dsplayer itself (link plez). It seems strange to be limited there when dsplayer gives us so much freedom everywhere else.