Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Delay at start of playback for AV Receiver to 'catch up'?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have my PC plugged into an AV receiver by HDMI, so all audio/video goes through that connection. The problem is that at the start of a video being played, the receiver takes a second or 2 to detect the format of the audio being sent to it (DTS, DD etc) so I always miss the first couple of seconds of audio. Is there anything I can do to help remedy this?

Thanks!
Bump, any idea will do lol!
any idea will do? ok.

use HDMI for video and optical cable for sound.
You could try the Cinema Experience Add-On and use a black/silent video for your intro, but this may not fix things especially if the audio format of the intro video is different from the movie proceeding it.

Luckily most films have at least a couple of seconds of studio logos at the beginning Smile
IsleOfMan Wrote:You could try the Cinema Experience Add-On and use a black/silent video for your intro, but this may not fix things especially if the audio format of the intro video is different from the movie proceeding it.

Luckily most films have at least a couple of seconds of studio logos at the beginning Smile

Yeah, films are fine it's TV shows causing a problem :/ And I'm fairly sure optical would have the same problem wouldn't it?
Out of curiosity, what kind of DVR do you have? I have an Onkyo TX-NR1007 and have some delays in engaging audio input but usually only when there is a long absence of audio output causing the AVR to drop the connection over HDMI. That said, I usually only miss the first few "clicks" when navigating around the UI, and not actual program audio when I start playback.

I would give optical or digital coax a try. There are a lot off issues that shouldn't be caused by HDMI but still are. It's been the bane of many a system integrator and custom installer over the years.
IsleOfMan Wrote:Out of curiosity, what kind of DVR do you have? I have an Onkyo TX-NR1007 and have some delays in engaging audio input but usually only when there is a long absence of audio output causing the AVR to drop the connection over HDMI. That said, I usually only miss the first few "clicks" when navigating around the UI, and not actual program audio when I start playback.

I would give optical or digital coax a try. There are a lot off issues that shouldn't be caused by HDMI but still are. It's been the bane of many a system integrator and custom installer over the years.

Might give it a go then, would mean having to buy a new sound card with optical audio though as I don't have one at the moment. I don't think it's a problem with the receiver not realising audio is being sent, it just seems to take a second or so to detect the format of the audio and start processing.
isnt that what I said try optical.... I googled this issue and google spat out numerous cases and the concensus was optical for audio and HDMI for video.
X3lectric Wrote:isnt that what I said try optical....

It is indeed what you said, I think the OP was just commenting on the fact that it would require new hardware that he doesn't have on hand...
ah right missed that one...

I think must be a cheaper way around this tbh.

I dont have or can afford a av receiver so I cant test any of it.
Maybe the OP would be willing to test impending audio engine that xbmc is going to implement, perhaps this would resolve that, but it requires the OP to compile the audioengine trunk copy.
dannycorker Wrote:Might give it a go then, would mean having to buy a new sound card with optical audio though as I don't have one at the moment. I don't think it's a problem with the receiver not realising audio is being sent, it just seems to take a second or so to detect the format of the audio and start processing.
An Onkyo by any chance? If so its something you might just have to live with - I've got an 805 and had this issue since purchase - some users have experienced better results by carrying out a firmware upgrade - but personally I haven't bothered, too complex and I've now kind of become immune to it.
steelman1991 Wrote:An Onkyo by any chance? If so its something you might just have to live with - I've got an 805 and had this issue since purchase - some users have experienced better results by carrying out a firmware upgrade - but personally I haven't bothered, too complex and I've now kind of become immune to it.

It is Onkyo yeah - to be honest I'm kind of surprised there isn't something hidden away in advancedsettings to add a 2second pause at the start of playback or something, would be a very easy fix! All it needs is to load the file, wait a second and then play.

As for the new audio engine, would be happy to try it, fairly hopeless about where to start though!
If you use auto adjust refresh rate then the nightly builds have the option to pause video on refresh rate change obviously that's at the start so maybe that will solve your problem not sure how stable the nightly builds are at this point

What OS are you using because the DSPlayer build Rev#553d719 has this feature also but apart from that its pretty much the same as Dharma you don't have to use the DSPlayer part you can use it just the same as the normal XBMC its been completely stable for me

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=760856&postcount=6
there is no delay on my Onkyo HT-RC270 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver.

i don't know what kind of mobo and ram you have and it is a long shot- in your bios settings, can you manually allocate 512MB's of RAM?

or maybe, you need one of the newer SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133356"]PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430[/url] to give you more fire power and head room.
Pages: 1 2