Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 2011 mac mini video freeze issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a video freeze issue with XBMC 10.1 on my 2011 mac mini connected via wireless (802.11n). I have tried both the stable and nightly builds (07/30), but the issue persists.

The video freezes but the audio continues playing on most streaming content. All the controls stop working (keyboard doesn't work). The only way to recover is to use the mouse and change focus to another program and then bring back XBMC into focus. When I do this, the video goes in FF mode until is catches up with the audio. Even the mouse pointer kinda vanishes and I need to move it around quite a bit and it then appears from the bottom left part of the screen.

Because of this issue, I am not even able to run XBMC in full screen mode. I checked the XBMC log and here is the error that is shown during the video freeze:

Code:
10:00:27 T:2960457728 M:5630185472 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame
10:00:27 T:2960990208 M:5630185472 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
10:00:27 T:2960457728 M:5630185472 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame
10:00:28 T:2960990208 M:5630185472 WARNING: Previous line repeats 2 times.
10:00:28 T:2960990208 M:5630185472 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
10:00:34 T:2960457728 M:5630214144 WARNING: Previous line repeats 10 times.

I am not sure if this is a wireless issue, so I am thinking of drawing a cat 5 from my 2nd floor to the 1st floor to connect the mac mini via ethernet. Before doing this, I wanted to know if there is any other way to fix this issue...

Update: Also, I noticed that this XBMC freeze issue happens even when I am not playing a video and I am just browsing within the software. When the mouse pointer is focused on XBMC, I get the beach ball. The only way to get XBMC to respond is by changing focus to a different application and then coming back to XBMC. I am quite lost trying to figure out what's going on...
the_jaguar Wrote:I have a video freeze issue with XBMC 10.1 on my 2011 mac mini connected via wireless (802.11n). I have tried both the stable and nightly builds (07/30), but the issue persists.

The video freezes but the audio continues playing on most streaming content. All the controls stop working (keyboard doesn't work). The only way to recover is to use the mouse and change focus to another program and then bring back XBMC into focus. When I do this, the video goes in FF mode until is catches up with the audio. Even the mouse pointer kinda vanishes and I need to move it around quite a bit and it then appears from the bottom left part of the screen.

Because of this issue, I am not even able to run XBMC in full screen mode. I checked the XBMC log and here is the error that is shown during the video freeze:

Code:
10:00:27 T:2960990208 M:5630185472 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
10:00:28 T:2960990208 M:5630185472 WARNING: Previous line repeats 2 times.
10:00:28 T:2960990208 M:5630185472 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
10:00:34 T:2960457728 M:5630214144 WARNING: Previous line repeats 10 times.

I am not sure if this is a wireless issue, so I am thinking of drawing a cat 5 from my 2nd floor to the 1st floor to connect the mac mini via ethernet. Before doing this, I wanted to know if there is any other way to fix this issue...

... does it work if you play the same file from the local HDD?

Chris
ix400 Wrote:... does it work if you play the same file from the local HDD?

Chris

Good point - I tried playing a file that I downloaded to the local hard drive and I faced the exact same video freezing issue quite a few times while playing the video.

Also, I noticed that this XBMC freeze issue happens even when I am not playing a video and I am just browsing within the software. When the mouse pointer is focused on XBMC, I get the beach ball. The only way to get XBMC to respond is by changing focus to a different application and then coming back to XBMC. I am quite lost trying to figure out what's going on...

PS: I am on the 07/31 nightly build now. I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse (non Apple stuff). The connector plugs into USB port.
I would appreciate any help with this...
Here is an update - the problem is solved! but at a cost. It turns out that this freeze is due to multiple users being logged in. Based on information from another thread, it appears that OS X Lion has changed something in the OS, which is causing XBMC to freeze if fast user switching is enabled and more than one user is logged in.

I deleted the 2nd user account on my mac mini and it seems to have eliminated the freeze issue completely. I am going to let it run for a bit longer to confirm.

This is a huge disappointment because the main reason I bought the 2011 mac mini (with Lion) was to have it multi-task as a HTPC and also screen share a 2nd user simultaneously...
the_jaguar Wrote:Here is an update - the problem is solved! but at a cost. It turns out that this freeze is due to multiple users being logged in. Based on information from another thread, it appears that OS X Lion has changed something in the OS, which is causing XBMC to freeze if fast user switching is enabled and more than one user is logged in.

I deleted the 2nd user account on my mac mini and it seems to have eliminated the freeze issue completely. I am going to let it run for a bit longer to confirm.

This is a huge disappointment because the main reason I bought the 2011 mac mini (with Lion) was to have it multi-task as a HTPC and also screen share a 2nd user simultaneously...

Don't despair. I found the problem process the other day and was able to quit it in activity monitor. Can't recall it at the moment, but I'll update as soon as I get home.
Ned Scott Wrote:Don't despair. I found the problem process the other day and was able to quit it in activity monitor. Can't recall it at the moment, but I'll update as soon as I get home.

that would be an absolute lifesaver! thanks so much - I am eagerly waiting to get additional details.
I can't seem to duplicate the same behavior I had before. I am able to respawn a few processes that make both accounts more responsive except when one or the other is doing something like opening a window, which causes to the video to pause, but it will un pause after a second. Much better than before, but still not what we want. I'm fairly certain that there was a process I was able to actually quit before, rather than just respawn one (opens right back up after you quit it).

I gotta hit the hay here in a moment, but I'll keep messing around with it tomorrow.
xbmc.log might show what is going on.
Ned Scott Wrote:I can't seem to duplicate the same behavior I had before. I am able to respawn a few processes that make both accounts more responsive except when one or the other is doing something like opening a window, which causes to the video to pause, but it will un pause after a second. Much better than before, but still not what we want. I'm fairly certain that there was a process I was able to actually quit before, rather than just respawn one (opens right back up after you quit it).

I gotta hit the hay here in a moment, but I'll keep messing around with it tomorrow.

Thanks for the update. Let me know when you get a chance to dig deeper. For now, I have deleted the 2nd account and XBMC is running the way it should.
davilla Wrote:xbmc.log might show what is going on.

I looked at the log and the weird thing is that it doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. Is there an advanced/detailed logging switch that I can turn on?
if you are running xbmc from a 2nd account. there will be two xbmc.log files.
the_jaguar Wrote:I looked at the log and the weird thing is that it doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. Is there an advanced/detailed logging switch that I can turn on?

turn on debug logging and pastebin them.
I was running XBMC from the primary account only. I had created a 2nd account and logged in to it once, and also had enabled fast user switching. The 2nd account has not been active at all...
davilla Wrote:turn on debug logging and pastebin them.

Ok - When I get home, I will create the 2nd account again and try to reproduce the bug. I will enable debug logging from the settings menu.
Pages: 1 2