Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC slow and laggy, What to upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running Aeon Mq2 (Love it BTW!!!) unfortunately its a little laggy when browsing through the menu's and sometimes there is a decent amount of buffering before a movie starts. I reently changed my video card from the Geforce 220 to the Radeon 5670 (512 mb version), but this hasnt changed a thing.

Anyway, just wanted to get an idea of what hardware i could upgrade to speed up my system and improve the loading times as well as general lag problems.

My equipment is as follows:

Windows 7 32x
Video card: radeon 5670
2 GB DDR2 ram
Processor: 2.93 Ghz intel dual core processor.
Three Hard Drives: WD caviar green 5400 rpm (not sure about this one, but i do have three of them)
Not sure about the Mobo, but its a cheap one i bought about a year ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Make sure your video card has all the current driver updates. Aeon MQ2 is a heavy skin. How does XBMC run on Confluence? You might also try upgrading your RAM. Aeon MQ3 is going to be released by the end of the month and is supposed to be much cleaner and lighter.
Honestly, ditch the win7 32bit and go 64bit.
This will let you add more ram (above 3gb usable)

I run 64bit with 8gb DDR2 on an AMD 215
Never have lag..
dsimages Wrote:Honestly, ditch the win7 32bit and go 64bit.
This will let you add more ram (above 3gb usable)

I run 64bit with 8gb DDR2 on an AMD 215
Never have lag..

It seems that would require me to backup all of my files to upgrade, seems like a hassle (although its tempting). Maybe i should try 4 gb of ram first, and then go from there.

Also, is it possible that the 5400 rpm HD's are slow to read big MKV/AVI files?

maybe i should consider buying faster Hard drives in the future?
i smell upgrades, and here are some ideas:

1.SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB- will give you more fire power and head room.
2. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB- if you can afford it, too much is a thing of beauty.
3. Corsair Force CSSD-F40GB2-A 2.5" 40GB- quicker start up, no moving part, dead silent, etc.
4. Windows 7 64-bit

you'll be happy with the extra speed!
XBMC does not need lots of memory. Textures only stay in memory for 2 seconds after they're no longer used anyway.

Use a lighter skin is the only way to make things faster.
Aside from what JM said is Upgrade video drivers.
Without a doubt a small SSD 40-60 gig drive will make your system much more snappy and keeping XBMC in it, will give it very fast loads... another 2 gigs would give you more headroom, even though you couldn't use all of it until you move to 64 git O/S.
all of this is really good information, so thank you everyone for the help Wink

As far as MQ3, i didn't realize it'll be out so soon. I'm actually pretty excited about it.

Also, it turns out that confluence does run fine on my system, so hopefully MQ3 will work a little smoother.