Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Flac Tag Frustrations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a large library of FLACs and I was initially greatly pleased and impressed that XBMC looked capable of being my jukebox as well as serving TV and movies.

However I can't get my head around sorting out tags for some compilation albums.

I've always used an Album Artist field, and as I understand XBMC should use this. I can see evidence that it is indeed using this, however it's also using the artist field and I'm getting albums split into 20 pieces and they're Artistfromtrack1/Album Artist Artistfromtrack2/Album Artist

Is there any way to get it to ignore the Artist field if the Album Artist field is used, and just use that instead?
go into settings - music and disable 'include artists who appear only on compilations'
Sorry. I really should have put that in the first post, that I had already done this thinking it would do exactly what I needed.

In order to make sure that I give it another proper try to get it working I've removed my music from sources, and said yes to remove it from the database, and am now readding it, ensuring that the setting you mentioned was disabled.

Edit :

Yeah, sadly that doesn't work. It's still splitting the albums and taking the artist field into account as well as album artist.

What skin and view is that screen shot from? I'll replicate it and see how mine appear.
I just had a thought.. my files have a 'compilation' checkbox when setting the tags.. I'm using tag&rename 3.5.7 and it's checked. maybe grab that app and see if your files are marked the same?
I seem to have found the answer.

In Tag&Rename the Album Artist was showing at the Artist, not as I had set it in Mp3Tag. I checked and double then triple checked to work out what the difference was and couldn't find the problem. So I opened up Foobar (I felt quite guilty, I love foobar and it's going to be forgotten about now I have XBMC) and here is the answer.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for in the above image :/

Here is a screen shot of my XBMC for a VA album and Tag&rename for the same album.

you'll see the compilation checkbox and album artist and artist fields.

XBMC

Tag&Rename & Part 2
I've highlighted the image to make it clearer.

On it you'll see an Album Artist field which still contains the track artist, and you'll also see an ALBUMARTIST field which contains what MP3Tag said the Album Artist field did.

I've created a thread over at the support forums there and hopefully they can get it fixed or tell me how to work around it.
Quartermass Wrote:I've highlighted the image to make it clearer.

On it you'll see an Album Artist field which still contains the track artist, and you'll also see an ALBUMARTIST field which contains what MP3Tag said the Album Artist field did.

I've created a thread over at the support forums there and hopefully they can get it fixed or tell me how to work around it.

Yeah I noticed that.. just use tag&rename and then fix the field en masse.. mine work perfectly fine since I added album artist 'various artists' using tag&rename
Well, I do prefer MP3Tag, and I've found a workaround on it.

I've added a field called Album Artist, and I've based it on "ALBUM ARTIST". I have then added it as a custom column in the display. I've then amended the old Album Artist field which was based on ALBUMARTIST to be Album Artist OLD and also in the columns display.

The problem is that MP3Tag was using "ALBUMARTIST" for the Album Artist field, rather than what Tag&Rename, Foobar2000 and XBMC were using which is "ALBUM ARTIST"

So I'll now be able to fix all my tags quickly and see how that affects things.
Fair enough, I've not used mp3tag myself so I don't know it's in's and out's.

Though I do wonder what effect the compliation checkbox may or may not have on things, from your screenshot I couldn't see any reference to it.

how old is your version of mp3tag and does it support the latest developments in id3 tags?
I was using an out of date version and I updated to the latest. It's possible a fresh install would have fixed it... perhaps because I had an old version installed it was preset to use ALBUMARTIST and not ALBUM ARTIST. I've now fixed all my tags and XBMC is rescanning, so hopefully it'll come out right this time. I'm optimistic.

I appreciate your help btw! Thanks!
Happy to help where I can.

any positive result yet?
Yes, problem solved!