Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Big icons - i need em bigger!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
top o' tha marnin' to ya!

was wanting to know if someone here could gimme a few pointers on editing the referrences.xml to have the "big icons" options of "view" in xbmc to be alot larger than what the norm is. i'm using the pmii skin and run an ntsc xbox (dunno if this is helpful or not but will include just incase it is). now i have played around a bit with the referrences.xml file and have made some minor changes to how large the icons are showing up but something always gets fubared Sad i know where to go in the .xml to make the changes (a simple ctrl+f search for "big" does the trick) but i have no clue on how to scale it so that it isn't going to conflict with anything else. any insight on this would be great!

thanks,
-xomp
open up the appropiate references.xml file (there's one for each resolution.) look for the control type thumbnailpanel. the following tags with "big" in their name are what you need to modify:

Quote: <texturewidthbig>134</texturewidthbig>
<textureheightbig>143</textureheightbig>
<itemwidthbig>151</itemwidthbig>
<itemheightbig>200</itemheightbig>
<thumbwidthbig>120</thumbwidthbig>
<thumbheightbig>133</thumbheightbig>
<thumbposxbig>7</thumbposxbig>
<thumbposybig>5</thumbposybig>
(kraqh3d @ mar. 15 2005,20:44 Wrote:open up the appropiate references.xml file (there's one for each resolution.) look for the control type thumbnailpanel.  the following tags with "big" in their name are what you need to modify:

Quote:    <texturewidthbig>134</texturewidthbig>
   <textureheightbig>143</textureheightbig>
   <itemwidthbig>151</itemwidthbig>
   <itemheightbig>200</itemheightbig>
   <thumbwidthbig>120</thumbwidthbig>
   <thumbheightbig>133</thumbheightbig>
   <thumbposxbig>7</thumbposxbig>
   <thumbposybig>5</thumbposybig>
thanks for the quick reply man Smile but i already know the location of the .xml to edit (just so happens your place is exactly were i'm editing). i am however just having some major issues with finding a good "number" too use for the height and width for a "bigger" icon Smile i have messed with a few figures and nothing seems to look right. would you perhaps know of a good "number" too use on the sections that need the editing? thanks very much for the reply Smile
the values will depend on your preference. i would suggest you try to keep the aspect ratio by just multiplying the standard values by 1.5 or something. you can probably leave the pos values as they are. they are the offset from the item height/width where the texture is placed.
yeah, that's what i have been doing but i can never get them too show up like this (photoshoped screencap to show what i'm wanting to accomplish, also note how there is none of that transparent frame stuff around the edges like in figure b):

figure a-

figure b-

figure b shows the standard "big icons" size, i'm wanting for one icon to engulf the screen with the name of the movie still scrolling at the bottom of course and not have the border or frame, which ever you choose to call it. think you can help me on this?
thanks!
you'll just need to experiment more. first off, modifying references.xml will affect all thumbpanels. if you only want to affect one of them modify that control in the correct window xml file.

try setting all the "big" height and width tags to 100% of the control's height and width. (you'll need to play around with the height so values so that the name appears underneath.)

set "big" posx/posy tags to zero so that they fill the entire item space.

and you'll probably need to remove the focus/no focus textures to remove the highlighting.
(kraqh3d @ mar. 16 2005,17:18 Wrote:you'll just need to experiment more.  first off, modifying references.xml will affect all thumbpanels.  if you only want to affect one of them modify that control in the correct window xml file.

try setting all the "big" height and width tags to 100% of the control's height and width.  (you'll need to play around with the height so values so that the name appears underneath.)

set "big" posx/posy tags to zero so that they fill the entire item space.

and you'll probably need to remove the focus/no focus textures to remove the highlighting.
ok, which would i need to zero out? there is quite a few of the posx/y's in this section below:

Quote:  <control>
   <description>default thumbnail panel</description>
   <type>thumbnailpanel</type>
   <id>11</id>
   <span style='color:red'><posx>211</posx></span>
   <span style='color:red'><posy>100</posy></span>
   <width>515</width>
   <height>370</height>
   <spinwidth>16</spinwidth>
   <spinheight>16</spinheight>
   <spincolor>ddffffff</spincolor>
   <span style='color:red'><spinposx>625</spinposx></span>
   <span style='color:red'><spinposy>438</spinposy></span>
   <textureup>scroll-up.png</textureup>
   <texturedown>scroll-down.png</texturedown>
   <textureupfocus>scroll-up-focus.gif</textureupfocus>
   <texturedownfocus>scroll-down-focus.gif</texturedownfocus>
   <itemwidth>110</itemwidth>
   <itemheight>110</itemheight>
   <texturewidth>92</texturewidth>
   <textureheight>82</textureheight>
   <thumbwidth>80</thumbwidth>
   <thumbheight>72</thumbheight>
   <span style='color:red'><thumbposx>6</thumbposx></span>
   <span style='color:red'><thumbposy>5</thumbposy></span>
   <imagefolder>folder-nofocus.png</imagefolder>
   <imagefolderfocus>folder-focus.png</imagefolderfocus>
   <font>font12</font>
   <selectedcolor>ffffffff</selectedcolor>
   <textcolor>d0ffffff</textcolor>
   <colordiffuse>ffffffff</colordiffuse>
   <itemwidthbig>152</itemwidthbig>
   <itemheightbig>165</itemheightbig>
   <texturewidthbig>143</texturewidthbig>
   <textureheightbig>130</textureheightbig>
   <thumbwidthbig>129</thumbwidthbig>
   <thumbheightbig>116</thumbheightbig>
   <texturewidthbig>143</texturewidthbig>
   <textureheightbig>130</textureheightbig>
   <thumbwidthbig>129</thumbwidthbig>
   <thumbheightbig>116</thumbheightbig>
   <span style='color:red'><thumbposxbig>7</thumbposxbig></span>
   <span style='color:red'><thumbposybig>7</thumbposybig></span>
   <suffix>|</suffix>
 </control>

i have tried just zeroing out the
Quote:    <thumbposxbig>7</thumbposxbig>
   <thumbposybig>7</thumbposybig>
but all it does is remove the transparency from the left side of the preview image i am using, leaving all of the space still at the top, bottom and right side of it. shown below:

thanks!
this is the last time i'm replying to you.  if you want more help, post in the graphics/skinning forum where maybe some of the other skinners will entertain your questions.

if you want each icon to take up all the available space then all the "big" height and width (size) tags need to be the nearly the same size as the control.  the plain height and width tags define the area of the control.  experiment.

here's what each tag does:
- "item" size tags define the space each item takes up
- "texture" size tags define the area that the highlighting occupies
- "thumb" size tags define the space that the thumb actually occupies
- "thumbpos" tags define the offset from the corner of the texture space where the thumb is actually located.

just setting the offset to be 0,0 wont completely remove the highlight texture. you either need to set the thumb size to match the texture size so that it hides it, or remove the highlight texture completely.

to remove the highlighting completely, remove the imagefolder/imagefolderfocus tags.  with no textures defined, you shouldnt see the highlighting.
(kraqh3d @ mar. 16 2005,19:00 Wrote:this is the last time i'm replying to you.  if you want more help, post in the graphics/skinning forum where maybe some of the other skinners will entertain your questions.

if you want each icon to take up all the available space then all the "big" height and width (size) tags need to be the nearly the same size as the control.  the plain height and width tags define the area of the control.  experiment.

here's what each tag does:
- "item" size tags define the space each item takes up
- "texture" size tags define the area that the highlighting occupies
- "thumb" size tags define the space that the thumb actually occupies
- "thumbpos" tags define the offset from the corner of the texture space where the thumb is actually located.

just setting the offset to be 0,0 wont completely remove the highlight texture. you either need to set the thumb size to match the texture size so that it hides it, or remove the highlight texture completely.

to remove the highlighting completely, remove the imagefolder/imagefolderfocus tags.  with no textures defined, you shouldnt see the highlighting.
i appreciate your help very much, however i am unable to get this to work by any means of experimenting Sad i will now ask or try to have this thread moved to the skinning section.

cheers! :d
thanks (whoever it was) for moving this thread too the correct forum :d

now, could someone help where kraqh3d left off? much appreciated!

thanks!
crazy guys - the thumbs are chached 128x128 - they will look mad crap at this size

we tried 256x256 - eats way too much memory

we tried to compress - inacceptable quality loss

good luck then Wink
(chokemaniac @ mar. 17 2005,10:42 Wrote:crazy guys - the thumbs are chached 128x128 - they will look mad crap at this size

we tried 256x256 - eats way too much memory

we tried to compress - inacceptable quality loss

good luck then Wink
ok, thing too do is give up i guess. thanks :kickass: