Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video Playback Widescreen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, When I play my movies back on XBMC they are playing in widescreen format even though the DVDs aren't widescreen. I do use Handbrake to compress the video into Mp4 and have also tried MKV and both did the same thing. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how its going to be?

Thanks
XBMC should play 4:3 video at the correct aspect ratio and leave black bars at the sides where necessary. There is a setting to control this - see System settings, Video, Playback, Display4:3 videos as.

The aspect ratio is a setting stored within the video file. It's possible you've managed to get the wrong aspect ratio. The MediaInfo applet from http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/ will tell you what aspect ratio is set in the video file.

JR
Ok, I'll check these out when I get home.I figured I was probably doing something wrong since the DVDs aren't widesreen. I'm ripping with DVDFab and compressing with Handbrake. I hope thsi setting wors so I don't have to re-rip everything! I'll let you know how it works
Ok, I checked the "Display 4:3 video as" and it was set to normal. I changed it to stretched 16:9, but then the picture looks funny.

So if the DVD's aren't widescreen, it has to be something with how I'm ripping or compressing these right?
Check with MediaInfo. For example if I use:

Code:
mediainfo "D:\XBMC\Video\MiscFilms\Allegro Non Troppo.mp4"

I get:

Code:
General
Complete name                    : Allegro Non Troppo.mp4
Format                           : MPEG-4
etc etc
Display aspect ratio             : 4:3

JR