Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Will XBMC run well on eee box hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to try to build a light and simple HTPC. My local store has a couple of interesting options. Does anyone have an opinion which way I should go?

Option 1: Asus EeeBox 1012. Intel Atom D510 (dual core @ 1.66) and NextGen Nvidia ION. This has HDMI, eSATA and USB 3.0.

Option 2: Asus EeeBox 1020. AMD C50 (dual core @ 1.6, really an APU with ATI HD6250). HDMI, but no eSATA and only USB 2.0

Any thoughts on which would provide a better experience? Thank you for any advice.
not sure on your question, but a) welcome! and b) They seem expensive!! My Acer Revo was under £200 and can do XBMC flawlessly! You tried looking at the Acer Revos or those eMachines which I think are nearer £100 than £200!
It depends on what you want: both will do XBMC with full hd just fine.

The ION one will work on both Windows and Linux whereas the AMD one be much better with Windows, linux not working as good there.
I didn't think I posted the price! Anyway it is near $200 CND which I believe is close to the £100 mark.

My question is should I choose the atom/Nvidia or the AMD ApU? I would like to run Linux. I use various local media, NetFlix, and various websites.

Do you know which would work better?
probably none of them. If I am correct, Netflix is one of those Streaming services, which need a more powerful CPU than the Atom or, probably, the AMD C50.

Even worse, Netflix uses silverlight I think, which will only work in Windows. If I were you, I'd go another route.. you can check eskro's thread about which solution should fit you here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=105965
Well that's too bad. I'm just getting in to Netflix. Perhaps I'll look at one of the media boxes like AppleTV or something. Thank you for the tips.
I have an EB1012P, bought it as a bare bones kit which only comes with USB 2.0, got mine as an open box for 130 shipped. Anyways mine ran fine with Windows 7 installed before I switched to XBMC Live. With XBMC Live I can run 720p content without hardware acceleration active, anything higher requires hardware acceleration. That being said, I love this thing, it's tiny and silent. My only gripe is the incredibly bright blue LED.

I run Media Center Master on my Windows 7 pc upstairs to manage the content on the EB1012P downstairs.

Edit: I don't stream with Netflix, but I know there's a Linux Silverlight alternative out there, might want to look into that before you give up.
Thank you for the positive response. Do you mind saying which reseller you used? The box here is closer to $200 so $130 would be a lot better!

Sounds positive though.