Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is AppleTV 1st gen software version 1.0 upgradeable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a few AppleTVs, all of them have been upgraded AppleTV software 3.0.2 and then XBMC installed - terrific.

I have one remaining AppleTV, which shows a software version of 1.0 (all the others were at least 2.0 when I received them).

I attempted to update it via the AppleTV UI and this failed with a less than helpful error message.

I was attempting to install Linux on this AppleTV using the atv-bootloader process, which means I messed around with the partitions on the box. This may or may not have lead to the failed upgrade.

I just wanted to ask on the forum if other people have run into AppleTV software version 1.0 and if they were able to upgrade it to software version 3.0.2 and then install XBMC on it?

If so, I will have to spend time undoing what I started which is fine.

I had heard through the grapevine that software version 1.0 is not upgradeable and this could be why my attempts are failing.

If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.
Or they know decisively the answer, great.

Thanks,
Dave
Have you tried the Apple factory restore first before doing the apple UI upgrades?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3199
seand Wrote:Have you tried the Apple factory restore first before doing the apple UI upgrades?

Yes, I should have mentioned that as well in my previous post.

Now I can't remember, but it either succeeded or failed (which might be important Smile.

Just looking for people that began this with a 1.0 software version of AppleTV and were able to upgrade it to 3.0.2.
I have factory restored ATV1's back to version 1 of the Apple software and upgraded it before jailbreaking several times. As far as I know Apple is still hosting the upgrades for download but you may have damaged the restore image on the drive which may be your problem, not that its version 1.

There was a version of the restore image kicking around on bit torrents for a while (or the CD's that the ATV1 first came with). Worse case scenario you have to get a cheap adaptor to allow you to take out the ATV1's HD and mount it externally and reformat it on a Mac. If you can SSH onto it you might be able to copy the restore image off another one of your ATV's. The latter is probably the easiest if you can do it.
I have two AppleTVs that originally came with 1.0 and have upgraded to 3.0.2.

If your partitions are hosed and since you have another machine, I would recommend doing a clone of one of your working machines to your bad one. It would entail opening up the ATV and removing the hard drives but would get you back to a working ATV.

I have used this tool to clone before and it works great.

http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/

This assumes you have a Mac to use to run this utility.

Good luck!
gilbreen Wrote:I have two AppleTVs that originally came with 1.0 and have upgraded to 3.0.2.

If your partitions are hosed

I was able to undo my hosing of the partition table and simply rebuild the Media (or my files) partition, since I had not touched the other 3 partitions used by OSX.

So I have it all upgraded and running 3.0.2.

Thanks for the replies.
Dave