Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: CPU or GPU - that's here the question...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is already another thread in the Mac section, but it only touches this topic. So, let me open one specific one for the HW gurus around...

The latest Mac Mini is out and finally comes with an i5 rather than with a core duo. Unfortunately, HW-acceleration via GPU does not work anymore with the new Mac Mini (with neither of the 2 available graphic cards). So if I want to go with a Mini and XBMC, I am left with the option to go with the "old Mini" using GPU or the "new Mini" using CPU. Both ways should play 1080p. So, now to my questions:

Is it better for me to go with the "old" one using HW-acceleration or the new one purely relying on the stronger CPU?

Few dimension to consider (I am trying to answer myself, but not an expert, so hope to hear from you guys?!)
* Menu snappiness - pro new Mini given GPU not utilized for this anyways and dependent on CPU?
* Playing H264 movies - pro old Mini given CPU/GPU combo stronger than CPU
* Playing non-H264 movies (e.g., flash) - pro new Mini given HW-acceleration may not be fully supported anyways
* Heat?
* Noise?
* Energy consumption?
* Half-SBS compatibility - pro new Mini given half-SBS only works well if HW-acceleration is disabled anyways
The newer one will be better in all the areas you mentioned. Everything, heat, noise, consumption.

There's no comparison, the technology is 3 or 4 years apart.

GPU acceleration is irrelevant once your CPU is fast enough. The 2nd-gen i5 will play 1080p H.264 with very low useage and power consumption.
That's not necessarily true. GPU decoding is inherently much more efficient than CPU decoding. Question is whether the efficiency gains thanks to technological advancements over the past 4 year weigh up to this inherent advantage of GPU decoding.

I don't know the answer to that question, so you may or may not be right, but if you are it's not just for the reason you indicated. The truth is more complicated than that.
If it's only for xbmc, I'd just go with a different machine altogether.. too expensive for what it offers
LB06 Wrote:That's not necessarily true. GPU decoding is inherently much more efficient than CPU decoding. Question is whether the efficiency gains thanks to technological advancements over the past 4 year weigh up to this inherent advantage of GPU decoding.

I don't know the answer to that question, so you may or may not be right, but if you are it's not just for the reason you indicated. The truth is more complicated than that.

That is a very condescending reply. I am fully aware of the complexities and took them into account. I didn't list them because there was no need to.

32nm 2nd-gen i5 will use less power than an old 45nm Penryn + 40nm Nvidia GPU. Even if the i5 is decoding on CPU and the Penryn+320M is using GPU acceleration.

Decoding 1080p H.264 has become very easy for modern CPUs, the i5 will probably be at 15% or less when doing so. Basically close to the lowest multiplier and core voltage.
xbmc is able to run on even the oldest pc's the mac mini would be more efficient i have one so i know from experience but also sometimes it also depends on the skin you're using some are fast and swift then there's ones were the performance is medium
GPU is more important than CPU, especially if its primary use is for XBMC.
Thanks for your replies! Unfortunately, I don't see a clear outcome and even contradicting messages. Need to say that this is what I anticipated given the complexity of my question.

Let me throw in a few more points to trigger more discussion:

* I am aware that the "old" Mini is cheaper than the "new" one, but don't mind the difference that much as long as the "new" is at least at par at all dimensions outlined above plus plays half-SBS
* I am aware of some alternatives, but would only be interested in other solutions that are NOT noisier with a case looking as nice; solutions that are "basically the same performance, but still not 100%" are also of less interest
* I am aware that both Minis will play. but trying to optimize along the dimensions outlined in the first post
* Besides skin performance, skin performance is extremely important to me. Would prefer not to use DDS fanart. I have a huge library and use a resource intensive skin (Transparency!); would love browsing through the library be as snappy as possible
* Only / exclusively used for XBMC

Any additional thoughts on which of the 2 Minis to go? Thanks in advance!!!
IMO, If there is a price difference use the money to upgrade to an SSD. That is where you will gain the most performance and menu "snappiness" you mention.
Secondly, just because something is NEW, latest and greatest, etc. does not necessarily mean it is better for all applications.
An i5 (by itself - excluding graphics especially) is overkill for XBMC. However, I am a fan of overkill so I wouldn't hold it against anyone Wink
outatouch0 Wrote:Secondly, just because something is NEW, latest and greatest, etc. does not necessarily mean it is better for all applications.

That's exactly what's my question is. I know that an i5 is much better than core2duo, but the mini with the i5 comes at the price that its GPU is not supported for HQ acceleration. By going with the i5, I want to make sure that this comes at the cost for having a louder Mini (e.g., more fan usage?) or hotter Mini (I always disliked my ATV for being so hot) or other things that may come with it.

The thing is that I don't know whether noise, heat or anything else is negatively impacted by running with the new i5 mini rather than with the old one.

outatouch0 Wrote:An i5 (by itself - excluding graphics especially) is overkill for XBMC. However, I am a fan of overkill so I wouldn't hold it against anyone Wink

Agree with you, I don't mind the overkill, but I am not 100% certain whether it actually is an overkill. For example, where does the GPU kicks in (just playing files or also displaying XBMC menu?)? Unfortunately, there is no Mini out, which will give me the best of both world.

Any further thoughts are appreciated!