Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live] Harmony 890 with Imon Soundgraph IR Receiver LIRC & Other methods - No Dice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
XBMC Live install
Harmony Remote 890
Imon Soundgraph
Short time Linux user and loving the challenge.

I keep driving off a cliff trying to get LIRC to run on my HTPC. I have scoured these forums and Google for some resolutions and have tried many tutorials but nothing is working out so far. The latest tutorial I tried (setup with out using LIRC),

http://ardanedh.blogspot.com/2011/06/har...thout.html

Didn't work out. I have also tried this one,

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40290

which I never was able to complete due to these commands not being accepted.

# sudo apt-get build-dep lirc lcdproc
# sudo mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
# sudo cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I will provide any additional info you might need. Thanks in advance.
Be more specific, when you say "did not work out" explain what didn't and show the errors etc.

When you say "commands not being accepted" what do you mean? Do you get an error? If so what is it?

Copying your terminal output to pastebin and posting the url is probably a good start.
When I issue the command "irw", I get this

$ irw
connect: No such file or directory
Ok, first lets find out what IR receiver you exactly have, can you post the output of lsusb? It looks something like this:

xbmc@xbmclive:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 15c2:ffdc SoundGraph Inc. iMON PAD Remote Controller
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
$ lsusb
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 15c2:0038 SoundGraph Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Ok, from the device ID it looks like you have the iMon LCD (check here).

Try this:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop
sudo apt-get purge lirc lcdproc

then reboot, don't know for sure that's necessary but it wont hurt. Then re-install lirc and lcdproc:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lirc lcdproc

If you get prompted for device selection, make sure you select "Soundgraph iMON Antec Veris" in the first screen, and "None" in the second.

If you don't get prompted for device selection run:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

and select "Soundgraph iMON Antec Veris" in the first screen, and "None" in the second.

Lirc will be started, check if there are no errors, the lines will end in [OK] like this:

Code:
* Loading LIRC modules                                                                                                      [ OK ]
* Starting remote control daemon(s) : LIRC                                                                                  [ OK ]

Check the output for irw:

Code:
sudo irw

If it gives output when pressing a button, lirc is functioning.

Reboot and check if your remote works ok in XBMC, if it does not you might need to setup a different device in your Logitech remote.

I'm using a Soundgraph iMon VFD/Pad and when I select that in the logitech software the remote works fine in XBMC. You might need to select something like "Soundgraph iMON Antec Veris".
I do have the Imon LCD.

Here are the results...

brad@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get purge lirc lcdproc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package lirc is not installed, so not removed
Package lcdproc is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 63 not upgraded.

After running sudo apt-get install lirc lcdproc, I get...

Setting up lirc (0.8.6-0ubuntu4.2) ...
ls: cannot access /lib/modules/2.6.32-29-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/: No such file or directory
* Loading LIRC modules [ OK ]
* Unable to load LIRC kernel modules. Verify your
* selected kernel modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
I'm guessing one of your previous attempts to get this working broke something. If you don't have a lot of custom config going on in your Live install I suggest you re-install XBMC Live and try the above method. You can backup /home/xbmc/.xbmc so you won't have to re-configure XBMC all over again.

ps. Try not to follow howto's that are not for the OS/XBMC version you are working with.
I had tried manually compiling lirc-0.9.0 after attempts to use the lirc version that came with xbmc live. Re-installing is such a pain because of the setup of my tuner card. But... I might have to. Thank you very much for the help.
You are sure that there are no error messages when installing Lirc from the repository other then the one you posted? And all the custom (non-repo) installations of Lirc are removed?
Here is the entire output of "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc". At the time I didn't think everything was pertinent but I might be.

* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC [fail]
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service udev reload

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the reload(8) utility, e.g. reload udev
ls: cannot access /lib/modules/2.6.32-29-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/: No such file or directory
* Loading LIRC modules [ OK ]
* Unable to load LIRC kernel modules. Verify your
* selected kernel modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
The fail is because it's not running. The output for the installation of the Lirc package might contain better information.
Okay, I tried the process again.

The output of "sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop", is...

* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC [fail]
Okay, I issued "sudo pkill lirc" and it accepted it. Should that have worked?
You are trying to stop a service that's not correctly installed and probably not started.

Please do:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge lirc lcdproc
sudo apt-get install lirc lcdproc

and paste the complete output you get in the terminal.
Pages: 1 2 3