Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: E-350 Build - Can it do what I want? What are the alternatives?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I really like the look of the AMD E-350 boards, but I've read a lot of conflicting posts on various forums about whether the E-350 is capable of streaming 1080p or even playing it direct from the HDD.

My plan is to use the build below as an FTP server that me and a couple other people can access from anywhere, whilst at the same time running XBMC (for 1080p video files, loading a few classic PC games/emulation and HD video streaming from youtube, iPlayer and other sources...) and uTorrent (when needed). Is the E-350 capable of this or am I asking too much of it? Eventually, when I can afford it, I will be building a dedicated HTPC box and relegating this build to NAS duties with anywhere up to the full 5 HDD.

Asus E35M1-I DELUXE
2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz
2TB Western Digital WD20EARX
Lian Li PC-Q08B
350W PSU

If I am asking too much, what is a reasonably priced alternative that will be able to do this? I was thinking about the Pentium G620T, but I don't want to have to deal with the issues sandy bridge has with 24p.
i think your asking too much,,,
for multi-tasking, i would definitely go with something stronger,,,
check my HTPC guide,,,
thanks eskro. was having a read of that earlier. probably one of the most informative things i've read so far. if i go with the G620T, I'm definitely going to need to get a discrete GPU as the integrated stuff is no good for 24p, right? is that the 'lowest' processor you'd recommend?
i first bought the gigabyte e350n but found it not as responsive as i was expecting so i ended up selling it to a friend and used the money from that to build a amd athlon x2 260 3.2ghz dual-core with a asrock 880gmh-le/usb3 motherbooard i find this more in tune for my needs and cost about the same but has the advantage of a 3.2ghz cpu over the onboard 1.6ghz of the e350 plus have the flexibility of upgrading the cpu if needed whereas the e350 cpu is perrmanant on the board
Was having a look at the AMD alternative to the i3 or G620T, but they don't seem to have much to offer on the mini itx front and the benchmarks seem to be lower for the same cost too. I'm leaning towards the i3 2100T at the moment. Is the 24p issue a big one or can I get away with the HD 2000 iGPU? If not, I'm just going to pick up a cheap nvidia GPU
I'm not sure why everyone is having so much problems with E350M1 mobo. I'm enjoying it in my home theater room. It can playback all my bd m2ts/iso/mkv/bd-rom with dts-hd/trued and streaming HD Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, Youtube, etc on my 56" HDTV flawless. I'm using both 7MCE and XBMC with superb quality playback. Here are my hardwares:
1. APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX
2. ASRock E350M1/USB3
3. Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2/30GB
4. Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
5. SilenX IXP-74-09 120mm Case Fan
6. HP MCE Remote Control
7. LG Black 10X BD-ROM
8. Buffalo Technology MiniStation Stealth 1 TB USB 3.0

If I want to make it beefier, I can always install this card in it- SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB

Caspar, this setup might be more suitable for you:
1. SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B or APEX MI-008
2. Zotac GeForce 9300
3. Silenx IXP7409 iXtrema Pro Fan
4. LG Black 12X BD-ROM
5. HP OEM Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control
6. SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or
PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430
7. Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz
8. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
9. Corsair Force CSSD-F40GB2-A 2.5" 40GB
Caspar Wrote:Was having a look at the AMD alternative to the i3 or G620T, but they don't seem to have much to offer on the mini itx front

your right,,,
i was trying to cook'up a small AMD miniITX build but,
seems like they dont have much to offer,,,
so far,,,
  • Lian Li PC-Q08B
  • Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Intel H67
  • Intel Core i3 2100
  • 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 Classic
  • 2TB Western Digital WD20EARX Caviar Green
  • 330W PSU, Seasonic S12II-330, 85% Eff'
Ok, that's how its looking, possibly with a GeForce 210 or GT430 on top. Should be buying tomorrow, hopefully.
Caspar Wrote:
  • Lian Li PC-Q08B
  • Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Intel H67
  • Intel Core i3 2100
  • 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 Classic
  • 2TB Western Digital WD20EARX Caviar Green
  • 330W PSU, Seasonic S12II-330, 85% Eff'
Ok, that's how its looking, possibly with a GeForce 210 or GT430 on top. Should be buying tomorrow, hopefully.

with your system, i preferred options below:

1. ASRock H67M-ITX LGA 1155 Inte- i'm a fan of asrock.
2. SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B- it included power supply
3. SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB- a little more fire power than the gt430.
Yeah, I'd be going for a case like that, but this case will eventually be used for NAS. Until then it needs to act like NAS, an HTPC and FTP server all in one. Eventually I will be taking the motherboard out and putting it in a smaller chassis and getting a lower power board for the NAS.

Is the wifi on the ASRock any good? Am I going to miss out on anything I might want on the Gigabyte?

Is the 6570 ok for Linux?
Caspar Wrote:Yeah, I'd be going for a case like that, but this case will eventually be used for NAS. Until then it needs to act like NAS, an HTPC and FTP server all in one. Eventually I will be taking the motherboard out and putting it in a smaller chassis and getting a lower power board for the NAS.

Is the wifi on the ASRock any good? Am I going to miss out on anything I might want on the Gigabyte?
you can find complete description here- ASRock H67M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel

Caspar Wrote:Is the 6570 ok for Linux?

it confirmed linux catalyst here- Sapphire Radeon HD 6570