Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help with Home Theater and implementation of XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone,
just wanted to ask some questions and hoping to get some answers or suggestions regarding XBMC. I'm a little new to it, but it offers all the features I want. ie. similar to Kalaidescape.

The question i have is the following.

My Server (Windows Home Server) is setup in another room and all my back up videos/movies/pictures are on it. I don't want to build a HTPC as I have no place for it in my AV rack, is there another form of Client that I can use to stream the videos over and into my Processor which won't be loud, take up a lot of space etc and connect it to my processor?

I was thinking of a Windows Tablet as I have an HDMI and a Ethernet port at my seating position, since I don' believe 1080p works very well over Wifi. Plus, its very difficult to find a Windows tablet, let alone one with an ethernet port.
Not especially. Have you considered using an Apple TV 2?
I would agree the ATV2 is the easiest solution for a low cost, low noise/heat, low profile client. The main drawback can be the lack of 1080p output resolution, though it decodes 1080p files fine as long as they are h.264 encoded. Other limitations include the inability to decode or bitstream advanced codecs like DTS-HD/MA or TrueHD.

There are other HTPC solutions that are low profile and low heat, but the ATV2 is hard to beat if you can with the limitations.

What is your display, size, and viewing distance?
It wil be running on a 138" 2.35:1 screen.
Viewing will be at 16' for the first row and about 22' for the second row.
The room is about 27x20x9.

Basically a dedicated home threater room.

I guess my only option would be to build a htpc and put it behind the rack. Install XBMC and stream it from the WHS. Also add a remote to it like a logitech mini dinovo?
Or can I download something for the iPad to control?

The iPad will be controlling the lighting in the room and maybe I will be using irule for control of the electronics.

Not really a big fan of apple, so I'll be avoiding the ATV2.
r8lee Wrote:Not really a big fan of apple, so I'll be avoiding the ATV2.

BS logic right there. Apple is no more or less evil than any other computer company. Not buying from Apple because of blind hate is no better than being an Apple fanboy and buying because of blind love. And you have no issues with using an iPad?

I like Apple but always used to think the AppleTV was a POS. Then XBMC was able to run on it, and later it was able to decode any codec including ones in HD. Then the ATV2 comes out and the same thing happens. I love both versions because it is simply impossible to build an HTPC so small and cheaply and yet still run so well.

Love or hate the company, but the little black box they make is awesome. Don't do yourself a disservice by dismissing it like that.
and yes, you can control XBMC from an iPad. There are a number of remote apps out there and they work great.
Ned Scott Wrote:BS logic right there. Apple is no more or less evil than any other computer company. Not buying from Apple because of blind hate is no better than being an Apple fanboy and buying because of blind love. And you have no issues with using an iPad?

I like Apple but always used to think the AppleTV was a POS. Then XBMC was able to run on it, and later it was able to decode any codec including ones in HD. Then the ATV2 comes out and the same thing happens. I love both versions because it is simply impossible to build an HTPC so small and cheaply and yet still run so well.

Love or hate the company, but the little black box they make is awesome. Don't do yourself a disservice by dismissing it like that.

I do own apple products, but don't think they are anymore special than anything already out there. The ATV2 seems to do the job, but I would like the 1080p on any video format etc.

I will look into for other tv's around the house. But it doesn't seem to fit the need for the HT room.
Ned Scott Wrote:and yes, you can control XBMC from an iPad. There are a number of remote apps out there and they work great.

Good to know, after lots of reading it looks like I will be building a htpc and using the iPad to control it. Thanks Smile
r8lee Wrote:I do own apple products, but don't think they are anymore special than anything already out there. The ATV2 seems to do the job, but I would like the 1080p on any video format etc.

I will look into for other tv's around the house. But it doesn't seem to fit the need for the HT room.

Fair enough. Sorry I was a bit harsh in my post. I'm used to going on the defensive on this kind of thing since a lot of people will dismiss the ATV2 simply because it's Apple. Granted there's plenty of Apple products out there that I wouldn't bother owning.
Ned Scott Wrote:Fair enough. Sorry I was a bit harsh in my post. I'm used to going on the defensive on this kind of thing since a lot of people will dismiss the ATV2 simply because it's Apple. Granted there's plenty of Apple products out there that I wouldn't bother owning.

Naw don't sweat it. There are a lot of fanboys out there, as long as it works I couldn't care less about what brand I'm using. Even though I will tend to gravitate towards a windows built computer over an apple, but that's really it.
Looks great ! Will Constellation on iPad control an ATV 1st gen running XBMC Dharma 10.

Thank you in advance for help and good luck !
i think that you are thinking of these- Windows 7 Tablet
What are the dimensions you need to fit in your cabinet/rack? I'm willing to bet there is an HTPC solution, either off-the-shelf or custom built... likely one that wont break the bank.

One other hurdle you might run up against is working with the XBMC UI on a 2.35:1 screen... It's not really workable to scale the UI to fit without also video adversely. There's a thread on interaction between the two if you do a quick search.
IsleOfMan Wrote:What are the dimensions you need to fit in your cabinet/rack? I'm willing to bet there is an HTPC solution, either off-the-shelf or custom built... likely one that wont break the bank.

One other hurdle you might run up against is working with the XBMC UI on a 2.35:1 screen... It's not really workable to scale the UI to fit without also video adversely. There's a thread on interaction between the two if you do a quick search.

Well aside from the screen size issue you just brought up. I was thinking of putting together an Asus e35m1-I deluxe and just place it on the ground behind the rack. Set the bios to power on after failure and attach it to an outlet which will be controlled through the iPad to turn on that specific outlet.

This way I can boot up the machine before entering the room without actually going over there and hitting the power button.

Just got to find the manual and see if the bios supports this.
Pages: 1 2