Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DVD playback issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi eveyone,

I've recentlly ran into an issue regarding dvd playback.
Everytime I load a DVD, XBMC detects it nicely, but will reload the xbmc-live interface as soon as I try to play it.

I am running the latest xbmc-pvr build from lars opdenkamp's repo (updated 14-08-2011) on Ubuntu 10.10.

I've uploaded a copy of my crashlogs here:http://pastebin.com/bcfJ5x3x

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile
I have same problem. Some DVDs stops immidiately after start, some other plays few seconds then stops.
Anyone got a clue on this one?
Weirdest thing about it all is that I got one DVD working after a fresh reinstall, but every DVD after that fisrt one caused XBMC to hang.
Please, anyone, help me with this.
I am willing to post whatever info you need, I can't seem to fix this myself.

Everytime I try to play any of my DVDs, XBMC restarts.
Have you tried with a dvd iso ?

It may be interresting to try another build of xmbc, this one may contains libraries compiled with instructions not supported by E350 (like 3dnow)
DVD iso's play without a hickup or issue, the problem appears to be physical dvds.

What I did find out though is the following:

After a fresh install, I can play a random DVD from my collection without issues.
If I eject that DVD (after stopping the movie in XBMC) and insert another, I get hangs, similar to the crashlog posted above.
If I then reinsert the DVD I played the first time XBMC will play it without any issue whatsoever.

I even found out that if I do not stop the movie, and just eject the DVD, the movie will resume exactly where it left off.

I think this issue might be related to XBMC holding some sort of cache about the DVD I first played after the install.

Am I thinking in the right direction? Or is there something I am missing completely?
I see in your log that xbmc lose connexion to dbus-daemon. I'm not sure about this, but I think that xbmc manage mount and unmount events using dbus-daemon and udisks.

Your problem may come from this dbus problem. I can't help you more, I don't know anything about dbus. You may check for some dbus logs in /var/log or ~/.dbus
Boudin Wrote:I see in your log that xbmc lose connexion to dbus-daemon. I'm not sure about this, but I think that xbmc manage mount and unmount events using dbus-daemon and udisks.

Your problem may come from this dbus problem. I can't help you more, I don't know anything about dbus. You may check for some dbus logs in /var/log or ~/.dbus

Hey, that makes sense.
Combined with what I've seen in the system's behaviour, I should be fine if I use XBMC to eject the dvd. That way it will register the unmount action, and then it might work.

Let me try that for a sec. I think we may have stumbled upon a "bug".
ZC3rr0r Wrote:Hey, that makes sense.
Combined with what I've seen in the system's behaviour, I should be fine if I use XBMC to eject the dvd. That way it will register the unmount action, and then it might work.

Let me try that for a sec. I think we may have stumbled upon a "bug".

Yes! It works Smile

The workaround seems to be to eject the movies using XBMC's interface instead of the dvd player's eject button.

Can anyone tell if this is intentional? Or is this a bug?
I don't have this problem, I can change DVD using eject button of DVD drive.
Since it's dbus-daemon that seems to crash on your configuration, there's more chances that this problem is independant of xbmc.
Are we both running the same build?
Just curious, as I haven't had this issue on previous xbmc versions.

I'll look into the dbus messages, but I'm not yet counting out the possibility that XBMC does causes dbus to hang due to some invalid call or something.
I don't use the same build. I'm using one I compiled from xbmc git 3 days ago.
I'll update my media center to the latest build (if a new one is already available) and I'll let you know.

BTW: Is there a git version of the PVR build? Or is that strictly nightly stuff?
xbmc-pvr git is here : https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc , you can try to build a version from master branch.
Since I encountered ths bug, I sort of stopped playing DVDs altogether, only to find out just a couple of days ago that it was still there.

It got worse though, as now I cannot get it to play any DVD except for the one I ran last time. I tried ratically eveything, from stopping and unmounting the drive to purging and reinstalling dbus itself.

Anyone care to look into this with me?
It's my very last nagging complaint about an otherwise perfect system.

I'll provide whatever logs or output you might need, just help me get this fixed...
Pages: 1 2