Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC running on Apple TV 1G vs 2G
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have owned both the original Apple TV and the new Apple TV 2G. I have had XBMC running on both before.

I was wondering if anyone had done any tests as to whether XBMC runs better on the 1G or 2G Apple TV. Performance wise, how well it handles streaming HD media from a NAS etc.

You would think it would be the 2G but I am unsure, from what I have found, the 1G seems to run it better.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Any links to a page where people have done a review or tests?

Thanks
I think the general consensus is the ATV1 with the Crystal Broadcom is better.
thescragster Wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts? Any links to a page where people have done a review or tests?

Saw Ned talking about this here
ATV2 has more support going into the future, and the ATV1 is discontinued so you normally have to find one second hand. ATV2 also only requires software modification for HD h.264 playback, while ATV1 requires the Broadcom Crystal HD (but will playback those rare HD divx files). ATV2 has a native Netflix client and possibly more in the future. ATV1 has usb ports for HDDs and even a DVD drive. Both have their pros and cons.

They're actually two very different devices. They function in the same basic way, both for vanilla use and even for "hacked" XBMC use. Under the hood they are very different. The ATV1 is actually an intel computer running a slimmed down version of Mac OS X 10.4. The ATV2 is basically an iPhone/iPod touch without a screen.

In my own day to day use they both work about the same. My files are almost all HD, but not that demanding. Sometimes I even forget which one I'm watching stuff on if they're connected to the same TV (for testing. Now the ATV2 lives with my parents so I don't see it as often). If you need more umph then go with ATV1 with BCHD.