Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multi-Channel Music Playback (DTS, FLAC, ALAC) on ATV2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've been trying to get my ATV2 to play multi-channel surround music mixes via iTunes/Home Sharing without much joy. DTS streams stored as WAVs or container'd in ALAC will all play back happily from my Mac Mini in iTunes when hooked up to my receiver via optical but the ATV2 is having none of it.

I tried transcoding the DTS streams to multi-channel AAC-LC .m4a files but the ATV2 downmixes them to 2.0 channel stereo. I believe the ATV2 also resamples everything to 48kHz before outputting down it's HDMI connection, which screws up trying to pass DTS-CD tracks to the receiver.

Is it possible to get XBMC on the ATV2 to play back .dts files, either copied from DTS-CDs (at 44.1kHz) or DVDs (at 48kHz)? Even better, can it somehow play more esoteric formats such as 24/96 2.0 or 24/88.2 5.1 FLACs copied from SACD or DVD-A discs? Ideally it would passthrough the bitstream to the receiver to decode but internal decoding and outputting 6-channel PCM would be acceptable.

I used to be able to play my SACDs on my PS3 but since Sony, in their infinite wisdom, decided I didn't need that functionality any more they've been gathering dust on my bookshelf :-(