Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-06-05, 02:18)LTParis Wrote: [ -> ]OK I got the plugin working, to a certain point. I can stream videos from Vevo and Hulu, and I know that the configuration of Amazon works because I can see purchases. However trying to play a Amazon video fails at any bandwidth settings.

I created a workaround, visit the forum here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=164087.
The plug-in still works, but xbmc can't play videos because of the flash drm. The workaround opens the videos in full screen browser.

Hello fellas,

I have a apple TV 1st Gen, I've been receiving the dreaded, "script failed plugin.video.Amazon" error message. I've been all over Google and tried a few things, like replacing the .so file ( The x86 version that works for the raspi also ) got the same error. I need to know if my error has to do with the .so file or is it something else?

I enabled debugging within xbmc settings and fetched the log file, here is a pastebin link of my info:

http://pastebin.com/17T8wVE7

Please someone, take a quick peek and tell me what the exact problem, so i can remedy the problem. I have all my user name and password, entered into the configuration settings for the Amazon add-on just in case you were wondering if i left it blank.

I hope to here from someone, soon. I've been at this for 3 days straight and hours at a time, researching and trying different methods with no success.
(2013-06-17, 21:03)morpheous Wrote: [ -> ]I need to know if my error has to do with the .so file or is it something else?

It's not you. Amazon recently enabled DRM that prevents this plugin from working. If you look a few posts up, you'll see that someone has written a new plugin that attempts to work around Amazon's restriction by launching the video in a web browser instead of directly within XBMC. I haven't tried it myself, but it may work for you. If not, there isn't really much to be done. Amazon has the ability to determine what platforms can stream their videos, and they've decided that XBMC will not be one of those platforms.
Here's what mal2 is talking about: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=164087
(2013-06-17, 22:15)HunterZ Wrote: [ -> ]Here's what mal2 is talking about: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=164087

I'll take a look, Hunter. Thanks...

(2013-06-17, 22:09)mal2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-17, 21:03)morpheous Wrote: [ -> ]I need to know if my error has to do with the .so file or is it something else?

It's not you. Amazon recently enabled DRM that prevents this plugin from working. If you look a few posts up, you'll see that someone has written a new plugin that attempts to work around Amazon's restriction by launching the video in a web browser instead of directly within XBMC. I haven't tried it myself, but it may work for you. If not, there isn't really much to be done. Amazon has the ability to determine what platforms can stream their videos, and they've decided that XBMC will not be one of those platforms.

Thank you for the information, i was going nuts! let me look at this work around that you speak of. You said its a few posts up? could you post person who posted the work around, please?
(2013-06-14, 06:57)Romans I XVI Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-05, 02:18)LTParis Wrote: [ -> ]OK I got the plugin working, to a certain point. I can stream videos from Vevo and Hulu, and I know that the configuration of Amazon works because I can see purchases. However trying to play a Amazon video fails at any bandwidth settings.

I created a workaround, visit the forum here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=164087.
The plug-in still works, but xbmc can't play videos because of the flash drm. The workaround opens the videos in full screen browser.

Running XBMCBuntu, I had issues with this workaround where firefox would only open using half of the screen - has that been fixed / addressed?
Anyone else get an email from Amazon over the weekend? They stated that XBMC will not be supported and offered a slight discount on a Roku box. I'm assuming this was in response to my email earlier in the month complaining about the DRM issue.
That really sucks and I have zero interest in buying another entertainment box. Sad
Fortunately I'm pretty sure I've got two other devices in my home theater setup that have official Amazon Instant Video support (Tivo HD and my TV itself), but it's still a disappointment and annoyance since streaming is supposed to be the HTPC's job.
Yeah, I got the e-mail, too. Roku (or any other dedicated device that they support) does not fit all of my needs, whereas XBMC does.
(2013-06-24, 16:33)invaliduser Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else get an email from Amazon over the weekend? They stated that XBMC will not be supported and offered a slight discount on a Roku box. I'm assuming this was in response to my email earlier in the month complaining about the DRM issue.

I too got an email with "here is a few bucks, get a roku" Undecided Like everyone else here I don't what to add another box. DRM sucks for customers. Tongue
Being the paranoid schizophrenic that I am especially with the internet these days I would like to know how secure this app is. Because it troubles me when the standalone player opens up on the firefox and it is asking me to sign up again when I already have firefox with my amazon account already saved with my user name and password. and also when it opens up I cannot see what URL it is it does not let me why is that and what guarantees do we have that this is not a system that gets our accounts for you to see and use or anyone else for that fact. It sort of reminds me of the old dummy bank webpages of the early 2000's where the page looked exactly like the webpage but the URL was different but since no one ever looked they re-entered their user accounts and info and well you know the rest.So if this is not the case prove it and maybe change the way the browser works on your next attempt at a solution it would make me feel more comfortable using it.
If you want to see the URLs, just export to your library and youc an see the in the strm files. The reason it is asking for you to login again is that you are using a new profile.
(2013-06-24, 16:33)invaliduser Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else get an email from Amazon over the weekend? They stated that XBMC will not be supported and offered a slight discount on a Roku box. I'm assuming this was in response to my email earlier in the month complaining about the DRM issue.

(2013-06-25, 20:36)mikefreeman Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I got the e-mail, too. Roku (or any other dedicated device that they support) does not fit all of my needs, whereas XBMC does.

(2013-06-26, 01:15)wipmonkey Wrote: [ -> ]

I too got an email with "here is a few bucks, get a roku" Undecided Like everyone else here I don't what to add another box. DRM sucks for customers. Tongue

Well I think it was quite nice of Amazon to throw you guys a small discount on a Roku box as this plugin was never an official Amazon mechanism.

Otherwise, I am curious how many folks really need an HTPC anymore versus a full time streamer like Roku and/or Roku+Plex? I guess DVR capabilities is probably the one remaining area that it works best, though Plex I believe can play non-drm Windows Media Center files just like XBMC did.

Shame, XBMC is losing all streaming. And without streaming it's utility really declines a lot...
Before people needlessly buy Rokus (if they have Windows and Windows Media Center installed) just use the homebrew Amazon MCE app and access it with Advanced Launcher.

The link is here

Using this site as a reference point.

This site also helps you figure out the application's {AppID} and the {GUIID}

I'm pretty sure the AppID and GuiID are universal for Amazon Media Center plugin, if not, you need to go into your registry and find out your code using the third link above.

1) Type this for the Target in a shortcut if you download the Amazon plugin:

%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /entrypoint:{9547e03d-ccfc-4564-a097-856b99e42afa}{615620d8-161b-4f48-8dd2-8354ae4da51d} /nostartupanimation

Notice the nostartupanimation parameter, which makes it so the splash screen doesn't show.

Close the app with Alt-F4 or map the close function to your remote