Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Worth Buying ATV2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, I have been trying to work out is it worth me buying an ATV2 or an Zotac. I want a nice small low powered system, that can play DivX, MKV 720p some MKV's have subtitles. I have so far been using a laptop running Live as my machine with a Windows 7 backend.
Here's a quarter, flip it Smile
OK then not the answer i was looking for, just shows how good this forum is for helping its followers, sorry it is late here and i get cranky when i am tired.

The reason i ask is, I really like XBMC and thank you to the developers for it Smile but i want a nice small low powered system as a front end.
Maybe he is saying that because the question has been answered too many times and the answer is quite obvious with a little searching and reading on the forum..

As far as I know it has no problem playing 720p video so not sure why it would have problem playing divx format videos.

I am about to pick one up today off CL Smile
Then he could of said that, i have searched the forums. All i want to know before i go spend money on an ATV does XBMC work the ATV as it does on LIVE, if the answer is yes then great i will order one tonight. Trouble is i do nto want to buy one then find it has a few problems and i am stuck with an ATV.
dave2384 Wrote:OK then not the answer i was looking for, just shows how good this forum is for helping its followers, sorry it is late here and i get cranky when i am tired.

The reason i ask is, I really like XBMC and thank you to the developers for it Smile but i want a nice small low powered system as a front end.

There is already a ton of discussion on the forums about pros/cons of ATV and ION hardware.
Tell you what i am gonna keep quiet now. Perhaps a sticky then with the pros and cons would be useful
from someone who was going to get an ATV2..

well bang for buck, if everythings normal priced as it is, its an amazing deal. for 100, i get the remote + machine + itunes server. not to mention its very good looking. limitations are its the least fluid model, it cant do 1080p and there are concerns over very rarely some 720p stuttering.

why didnt i buy it? simply there was an offer for 120 on a dual core HTPC (ER1401) and altho not out of this world, it is better than the ATV2 substantially and would give me (if required at any point) a backup PC which could do pretty much any of my work tasks etc.
Cool, just looking at that now, ty
dave2384 Wrote:Then he could of said that, i have searched the forums. All i want to know before i go spend money on an ATV does XBMC work the ATV as it does on LIVE, if the answer is yes then great i will order one tonight. Trouble is i do nto want to buy one then find it has a few problems and i am stuck with an ATV.

Couldn't you walk into a best buy or frys or whatever your favorite electronic store is buy it and test it for 24-48 hours if you like it keep it if not return it.

Maybe craigslist or eBay? I know I'm buying a brand new still wrapped for $60 on CL talk about best bang for your buck.

If I'm not happy with it I'll sell it for $80 jailbroken with xbmc already on it Smile
dave2384 Wrote:Then he could of said that, i have searched the forums. All i want to know before i go spend money on an ATV does XBMC work the ATV as it does on LIVE, if the answer is yes then great i will order one tonight. Trouble is i do nto want to buy one then find it has a few problems and i am stuck with an ATV.

dave2384 Wrote:Tell you what i am gonna keep quiet now. Perhaps a sticky then with the pros and cons would be useful

This sticky might be a good read then:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91581
What would be nice is a comparison, but thank you any way for pointing that out
The problem is, noone has all the devices that xbmc can work on and everything is personal opinion for your own setup. I have two ATV2s and think they are great. Do they have a few issues that I had to work out? Sure they did. As for mkv 720s with subtitles, it plays fine 99% of the time. I recommended it to some of my friends and the ones that got it also love it. As for the other device you mentioned, I don't have one so I can't compare. Just expect that a device you have to jailbreak and alter the original concept the manufacturer had for it increases the chance you may have to work around some small issues that arise.
never heard of a zotac but if you need someone to make your decision then I will step up to the plate. Get Apple TV 2
Reason:
There are more people on this site with Apple TV 2 than zotac systems

Hope I helped
atari800 Wrote:There are more people on this site with Apple TV 2 than zotac systems

Hope I helped

That might not be true. Zotac is a pretty popular ION mb manufacturer and they make some prebuilt nettop systems.
Pages: 1 2