Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: making xbmc easy for childeren
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Making xbmc serve grown-ups and children at the same time is sort of a challenge. Ideally I would like to use two separate movie libraries for that but that is not possible in xbmc.

Children movies are in a separate directory on my NAS. My workaround is using the movie library for grown-ups (obviously with all movies in it, incl children movies) and have a separate file view only for children (with poster thumbs). Excluding the children movie path from the scraper is not a option, the children need those poster thumbs.

Is there a way to filter out the children movies from the library? What other solutions have people come up with?
Use of smart playlist and maybe profiles. Check the features suggestions section ad there a topic on this.
See thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=107964
I use smart playlists
I've the same question really.

I've used a smart playlist set to Genre = Family and added a new item of "Kids Movies" to the main screen on Aeon MQ2

What I'd like to do now is exclude all of these kids movies from my main Movies - any simple way to do this?
acamp76144 Wrote:I've the same question really.

I've used a smart playlist set to Genre = Family and added a new item of "Kids Movies" to the main screen on Aeon MQ2

What I'd like to do now is exclude all of these kids movies from my main Movies - any simple way to do this?

Not from you "main" movies i think.
You could create another smartlist which excludes those movies.
Maybe it's possible to set default action of the movie menu to go to that smartlist
Worked it out

Make a new smart playlist excluding genre = family

Then add this as new item to the main menu called movies

Then hid the Original (all encompassing) "movies" from the main menu via settings

Sorted!
Thanks for all advise. Smart playlists are the way to go. I now use smart playlists to create a selection from my library (based on source directories, but other selections are possible as @acamp76144 mentions with genre). The smart playlists are then added as a playlist shortcut to the home menu.