Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Backup XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a revo 1600 and a Revo 3610...I am Reloading them and would really prefer to not have to do each separate ....I have 1 configured exactly how I want...can I just backup files and move them over to the other box.....if so what files?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
We realy need some tool to backup XBMC including add-ons and library.
Ok not a XBMC centric tool, but I use this religiously for backup -- remastersys. Downside -- if you are running Fedora you are out of luck. But for Debian and derivatives this is the ticket. Link is here.

You have several options but the two most distinct are --
A/ Copy of just the core image and applications.
B/ All of (A) plus user data. Which would be all the music and videos.

If you implemented remastersys and did option (A) then you have what you are after. Remastersys outputs a .iso file. Burn to DVD and transfer to your second system. I doubt that (B) would even be possible on a XBMC system with a large volume of media. The DVD being your limitation. But for just the system it should work fine.
late last night i was able to pop out the hard drives and put them in a windows pc and use acronis
problem is on the second machine everything comes up but the Nic never pulls an ip address...so I am thinking that it is a driver issue because they are different models but I def do not know enough about Linux to even know where to go from there

I did find a thread that gave me steps to add a root share in Samba so I have full access to the first machine so if there is just a directory i can backup and just load XBMC Live from scratch on the second machine so I know the drivers are good and just restore the directory then I think I would be good to go

but my noobness may be off on that also lol

Thanks
well I wrote a linux/unix backup script 2 months ago. I even started a xbmc plugin to configure and run it, but never got around to release it officially.
Its lacking a good readme and testing, but it lets you backup single dirs or a complete drive. It does this on a file level (using either rsync or tar)

the backup should be quite straight forward, restore is not implemented yet and would have to be done manually. Transfering files/dirs to another disk should be easy though, even for less tech savvy users.

if you want to take a look: https://github.com/wsnipex/wsuxbackup

Note: the xbmc addon has been developed against pre Eden, I have no idea if it works for dharma.
If anyone tries, please let me know the outcome.
Code:
dd bs=8192 if=/dev/sdd | bzip2 > xbmc-01.05.2011.iso.bz2 # to create the image
bunzip2 -c ./xbmc-01.05.2011.iso.bz2 | dd bs=8192 of=/dev/sdd # to restore the image
(2011-08-25, 01:35)schneidz Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:
bunzip2 -c ./xbmc-01.05.2011.iso.bz2 | dd bs=8192 of=/dev/sdd # to restore the image

How does this work? Not sure how to do this.
(2011-08-23, 14:26)athloni Wrote: [ -> ]We realy need some tool to backup XBMC including add-ons and library.

There is one, in the program addons, its called xbmcbackup. I think ill double check when i get home.

Matt
(2012-04-26, 11:13)tmacka88 Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:

you just type those commands into a terminal. (i do this with my fedora live usb and my xbmc-live usb when i dont feel like doing full installs -- takes like 5 minutes on my revo).
(2012-05-05, 21:26)schneidz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-26, 11:13)tmacka88 Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:

you just type those commands into a terminal. (i do this with my fedora live usb and my xbmc-live usb when i dont feel like doing full installs -- takes like 5 minutes on my revo).

very important: don't do this on a mounted filesystem/disk or the resulting image will be corrupted.
^ good point. also this is just an example. the /dev/sdd device is how it is mounted on my system. overwriting the wrong device will result in a loss of data and an unbootable machine.