Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: having difficulty adding video source
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have installed windows version of XBMC to C: drive. OS is XP (my old LT I would like to use as aHTPC for playback), my WTV movie files that I created w/ WMC are standard def.(on my new LT w/ windows 7 WMC) are located on my external HDD in recorded TV folder (these files are manuel recordings). since these are initially named manuel I have renamed a few of them w/ correct movie title in Windows, all but one title has been renamed and left as manuel as name of file.

Here's what I have attemped
Video enter
add source enter
Browse
highlight F:drive (which is the external storage HDD)

XBMC doe's not list the movies I have stored on this HDD which are actualley located in recorded TV also XBMC won't reconize files inside recorded TV.

Any helpfull surport is appreciated
STB
The Browse dialog only shows folders; it doesn't show the files within folders. That's because you're selecting the folder, not a file. So if you want to add F:\Recorded TV as a source select F: then Recorded TV, at this point the list in the Browse dialog will be empty) then click OK. When you're back in the Browse dialog the Path should contain "F:\Recorded TV".

JR
I have added recordedTV folder as a added source. and XBMC did'nt reconize it's contents.

I will attemp you'r advice again previously I did'nt click OK after adding F: drive HDD when it was empty I believe I just added recordedTV as a source.

Edit: my external HDD storage is formatted as NTFS.
and I'm able to view these WTV movies w/ my Nero6 however it all distorted.

Thanks JR for advice
STB
jhsrennie Wrote:The Browse dialog only shows folders; it doesn't show the files within folders. That's because you're selecting the folder, not a file. So if you want to add F:\Recorded TV as a source select F: then Recorded TV, at this point the list in the Browse dialog will be empty) then click OK. When you're back in the Browse dialog the Path should contain "F:\Recorded TV".

JR
I have recorded TV as a video source however when I click it XBMC won't show it's contents.

?1.is there a minuim file size requirement for XBMC to reconize these WTV files? because I only have a couple 2-5 minute example WTV files just for learning?

I ask this becase XBMC setting is like 34 minutes?

?2 the external HDD storage for WTV files on this HDD is formatted to NTFS will XBMC reconize NTFS?

Thanks
STB
There's no minimum file size. XBMC judges files by their suffix. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...ensions.3E for the extensions that XBMC treats as videos.

XBMC doesn't care how the disk is formatted as long as the operating system supports it. NTFS will be fine. However you should check the permissions on the Recorded TV folder. If whatever user account you're using has no access to the folder XBMC won't show the folder contents.

If you press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

F:\

and click OK this should open an Explorer window showing the contents of the F: drive. If you doubleclick your way to the Recorded TV folder can you see the files in it? Can you copy a file from there onto your C: drive?

Some suggestions (bearing mind the 12 hour latency in discussing problems like this on the forum):

1. post your sources.xml here

2. in a command prompt type:
dir "F:\Recorded TV" >test.txt
notepad test.txt
and post the contents of test.txt here. Replace "F:\Recorded TV" by whatever folder is giving you problems. You need quotes round the name if it has a space in it.

JR
Hello JR
I was able to drag the WTV file from the F:\ drive to the C:\

then I went to properties changed to open w/ XBMC

added C:\ as a video source when I click C:\ I don't see a
list of WTV files

what I do see is
AVG10
multimedia files
programs
temp
windows

ect.

I clicked on every file and did'nt see a list of WTV files

all I see is a bunch of blue arrows pointing up.

edit I checked your link for extensions video files and did'nt see WTV files
Stevethebrain Wrote:edit I checked your link for extensions video files and did'nt see WTV files

Do your files have the extension .wtv? If so you need to create/modify advancedsettings.xml to tell XBMC this is a valid video suffix.

Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\advancedsettings.xml"

and click OK. If you're prompted to create a new file answer Yes. In Notepad copy and paste:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videoextensions>
    <add>.wtv</add>
  </videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

Save the file and close Notepad. Now start XBMC and it should show your .wtv files.

JR
Hello JR your procedure worked I now see the WTV file excellent.

now if I could only watch it. when I left click message is playback failed one or more items failed to play check log file for details. so I'm confussed again.

JR ?1 will I have to drag each WTV file to the C: drive from the F: drive I would prefer to just use F: drive (external HDD)

?2 will I have to do your advanced procedure everytime or is a one time setup.

?3 can't remember exactly how I arrived at XBMC wanted me to select genre I think I select C: drive.

JR I'm getting closer to enjoying XBMC w/ you'r excellent advice.

Thanks
STB
Stevethebrain Wrote:Hello JR your procedure worked I now see the WTV file excellent.

now if I could only watch it. when I left click message is playback failed one or more items failed to play check log file for details.

This.

Version 10.1 here.
yes trying to use 10.1 version

I downloaded windows version here

http://xbmc.org/download/

Thanks
STB