Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC metadata
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using Sickbeard to grab XBMC metadata - .nfo .tbn .jpg , etc. This is stored on my server which holds all my TV epsiodes. My separate XBMC box then connects to the SMB shares on the server. No video files are held on the XBMC machine. Everything is working fine.

My question is, does XBMC even look at the metadata on the server, or does it scrape everything regardless, and download the same info from the internet.
xbmc will prefer local info over scraping it from the net, so yes, it will use those items the sickbeard creates. (I have the same setup you describe, so I can confirm it works that way)
Thanks for replying. Does XBMC then cache the metadata from my server to the local hard drive on the XBMC machine?
Majormonkey Wrote:Thanks for replying. Does XBMC then cache the metadata from my server to the local hard drive on the XBMC machine?

No. It is stored in your library database. If you change your metadata on your server after that you have to refresh your movie so it will load the new data.
However, if you play the movie once and xbmc finds that your metadata (audio/video codec) was not correct in the metadata it will change that in your local database (not on your server). There is no way of disabling this.
Yes when you add something to the xbmc library, the fanart and posters and such are cached to the thumbnails folder on the xbmc machine and the other info is added to the library database on the machine.
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:However, if you play the movie once and xbmc finds that your metadata (audio/video codec) was not correct in the metadata it will change that in your local database (not on your server). There is no way of disabling this.

Actually, you can override certain things with an nfo file (e.g. aspect ratio), while playing the file it will still display the native aspect ratio for instance, but in the library database it will still use the info it imported from the nfo file. I've done ths before with dvd rips that makemkv has made, because the aspect will always be 16:9 for anamorphic movies regardless of the actual movie aspect, so I override that within the nfo file and then scrape that.
@gabbott + @Machine-Sanctum thanks for the info.
gabbott Wrote:Actually, you can override certain things with an nfo file (e.g. aspect ratio), while playing the file it will still display the native aspect ratio for instance, but in the library database it will still use the info it imported from the nfo file. I've done ths before with dvd rips that makemkv has made, because the aspect will always be 16:9 for anamorphic movies regardless of the actual movie aspect, so I override that within the nfo file and then scrape that.

well i know that that dharma doesn't support DTS-HD. So when first added it will display that however once you've played it it will change it to DTS. This is solved in Pre-Eden because it does support DTS-HD.
So some things can be overiden and some not Confused