Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Further adventures in using a remote to power on a pc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been trying to find that perfect solution, a device that can power on the pc using the standard MCE remote and using only one IR receiver (I didn't want two receiver holes drilled into the case).

Now thanks to the ever so helpful steven over at simerec.com, a solution (for me) has been found. Really can't thank him enough for trying this for me.

What you need to buy is the PCS-2, not the PCS-1 and program it just to power on the pc (we don't need to power off the machine as xbmc takes care of that.)

Then you need to mod both the MCE receiver board just to use the IR receiver on the PCS-2 (confirmed working) This involves cutting a leg on the board and soldering two wires to the PCS-2

Next is finding a home for the MCE board in the case and mounting the PCS-2, but that will be straightforward.

Here's some pics that steven sent me, when i receive my kit i'll post an update with more pics.

well wasnt there solutions 'no soldering required' ??

its written black on white on their website...
As the unit stands, there is no soldering, however I was looking for a cleaner solution, using only one hole drilled in the case. and no external (ugly) receiver box.
Soldering would've been required anyway, as I was planning on extending the IR receiver on the MCE remote board.

It's not a hard soldering job at all.
So anyway I got the simerec and decided to install it.

Here's some pics
This is the board with a USB cable I made (just need 4 wires using a standard pin header), the cable I took off has correct usb colours so its easy not to make a mistake

Other end on the motherboard

Hole made in spare part of the sg05 case (handy getting one of those)

Simerec installed, fits damn perfect in a sg05, almost made for it!

complete

All works great, over the moon with it - one single IR receiver LED
Machine powers on with the MCE remote, turns off with the remote - perfect.
If you need a modified PCS-2 already programmed and cables soldered on i'm sure steven over at simerec will help you out, ever so helpful chap.

Other thing i did was not to use the scotchlok, personal preference - i removed the pin from the ATX header and soldered directly to it, just a lot neater imo.

Theres enough space for the MCE board in the front of the case, I mounted it with Double sided sticky pads
that is great!