Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Code RED !! Wife WAF at critical levels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Help... I am in a spot of bother. I am working away from home.... been away for 4 weeks and the wife is talking about getting cable in.

She is irrational of course. And I have dealt with some of her complaints....but the one that is left is " I want to watch the News in the morning over breakfast".

[sigh.....]

So, I need to get the news on XBMC. I know that I can do this... but my question is what is the best way to go about providing the news with the highest WAF"

Thanks.
What news channel do you need to watch? Do they have an internet streaming service? If so, is there an xbmc plugin for said service?

If not, you'll have to go the tv-tuner route. What services do you have available in your location? Satellite? Cable? Terrestrial broadcast?

Get an appropriate tuner card for the service you want to receive, and put it in either your server or your frontend - whichever is more convenient.

Now, your PCs run Windows, and unless you want to change that it means you'll have to use MediaPortal TV Server (google that for a download - it's free). Then download and install a build of the PVR branch of XBMC for Windows (note: this is still in development - expect some bugs).

If you need help configuring the PVR branch please ask.

Hope that helps!
sorry, yes... we are in canada.

so i could do with getting CBC that kind of thing. just a news magazine style show.

we have cable running to the house. we have no OTA transmission.
Ok, is CBC a free channel on your cable service, or does it need a card to decrypt it? If it's sent over the cable unscrambled, you can decode it with a DVB-C card.

The motherboard in your server (which is where I'd ideally recommend installing such a card) supports PCI-E, so look for a PCI-E DVB-C card to receive the transmission, and as I said, Mediaportal TV-Server software as a PVR backend.

If it's a scrambled channel then it gets a bit more complicated, I'm afraid.
just use canada on demand plugin. It works fine, I have some favorite channels mapped out for my wife and they show up on the main menu. So she can have news over breakfast, and I can have hockey over beer Wink

f'n wives
vinistois Wrote:just use canada on demand plugin. It works fine, I have some favorite channels mapped out for my wife and they show up on the main menu. So she can have news over breakfast, and I can have hockey over beer Wink

f'n wives

Yes, but they live with us and (sometimes) 'do things' with us for free... I could NEVER go back to being single...

She does hog the **** out of the XBMC remote though (we are both in I.T.)... Nerd
I get similar issues with my partner. If HTPC maintenance takes up too much time it's always "If we had cable you wouldn't need to spend all this time blah, blah..." BUT...

She likes her programs (in Australia it's Home and Away, Neighbours) which I HATE.

I had a HTPC built before we were together so it's been part of the house since she moved in 4 years ago and it has been running Meedio and MediaPortal all this time. I am now upgrading to XBMC and have the task to convince her its better than what she is use to because change is too hard to deal with.

At the moment I run MediaPortal on a multi-PC setup with cards in my server and clients around the home. I simply have a command on the remote and in XBMC that closes XBMC and opens MediaPortal. Its the same as I had before I am just waiting for the development of the XBMC TV front end to progress.

Anyway, MP is one of the best for TV management. We can schedule recordings of anything and watch at any time. I have also implemented comskip to take out ads so her and the kids don't see all the stuff they want to buy. I also have the system auto archive recordings that aren't deleted to standard definition divx files after 7 days to save space and I can delete these easily.

Works for the kids too. Record all the kids shows on TV and play them when it suits. Best way to go.

I have full run of the system and have all the permissions to maintain it all to keep it going because she loves it (so long as it doesn't take up too much time and I don't get too frustrated over it).
Do you not get OTA at home?
fishypops Wrote:sorry, yes... we are in canada.

so i could do with getting CBC that kind of thing. just a news magazine style show.

we have cable running to the house. we have no OTA transmission.

Hi Fishey... I am in exactly the same boat in Toronto. What my wife really wants to watch is Canada AM on CTV, but she would be OK if I could get her Breakfast Television on CityTV.

There is a free plugin called World News Live and it will work, but it only really has CNN and the BBC along with stuff like Al jizera.. Hard news and not the morning stuff that she wants.

One encouraging solution I can think of is to try and get someone who knows RTPM really well to help create the needed plugin for the live stream of Breakfast Television on City TV. Recent nightly builds have the ability to use RTMP 2.4 so it is now possible to watch CityTV streams. With some help we might be able to format a link to the Live stuff in addition to what is in the Canada on Demand plugin.