Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MySQL won't connect...?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I'm sure this is a super-simple answer...

I have a MySQL database that is running quite smoothly (3 computers connected to it, all Windows). I'm trying to dabble with Linux and XBMC, but I can't get the Linux (Ubuntu 11.04) to connect to the database. The contents of the advancedsettings.xml file are the exact same for all computers, linux and Windows :

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.65</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.65</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>
</advancedsettings>

Any reason why this wouldn't work? Network otherwise works fine, and I have managed to create a symlink'ed Thumbnails directory as well. Just can't get the database to connect with XBMC - although, if I follow the instructions in this link, I can connect to the database via terminal :

http://blog.eukhost.com/webhosting/how-t...-database/

I also ran sudo ufw disable, just to check, and also ran it with enabling port 3306. No luck either way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Forgot this : If I change the IP address above to FILESERVER (the name of the server), XBMC is atrociously slow, but still no movies at all.

EDIT : Seems that every time I start XBMC, it produces a crash log, even though things seem to work fine. Here's an URL for Pastebin with the log in question :

http://pastebin.com/7sqHUBtF
SilverJS Wrote:I can connect to the database via terminal :

Hmm, there's nothing in the crash log. Can you create a table with the user mysql in the databse xbmc_video?
This could be a database version conflict, what version as of xbmc are you running on the windows machines and the linux machine? 10.xx and pre 11.xx databases are not compatible
raffis Wrote:Hmm, there's nothing in the crash log. Can you create a table with the user mysql in the databse xbmc_video?

Not sure how to do that...? Wouldn't that harm a perfectly-working database though...?
dizzyikea Wrote:This could be a database version conflict, what version as of xbmc are you running on the windows machines and the linux machine? 10.xx and pre 11.xx databases are not compatible

Running Dharma 10.1 on the Windows machines. As for my Linux box - I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 (Ubuntu Classic Desktop), and the "latest" XBMC version. I can't really be more specific - I just ran the instructions that pop up on the xbmc.org page when you click on the "Linux" link (on the Download page). That being said, I did have to manually change the distribution to Maverick for the PPA in Software Sources.
OK, found it! =) Turns out that my recollection was wrong. I seemed to remember that by adding the advancedsettings.xml file (pointing at the MySQL database, that is), that a fully-populated database would show up. I found the answer while installing Windows on my Linux testbed computer as a test. In both cases (Windows and Linux), it turns out I had to still manually add video sources in order to see them. Once they appeared, they'd be marked as watched/unwatched or I'd have the option to resume playback at the proper time, etc. It was just a matter of adding the sources.

So, you can forget about this thread altogether, MySQL was working fine the whole time. =)

Cheers!