Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Banners vs Posters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've always used TV show banners to represent shows, since they were introduced back on the original xbox platform anyway. Many skins have views designed for posters in a portrait format rather than the short & wide banner format.

I have a banner.jpg and a poster.jpg file in each tv show folder, but when I enable "Use Posters" in the skin specific settings, all I get is the banner.jpg image squashed into a poster shape.

If I select TV Show Information and manually download a different image for the 'thumb' then I can get it to look right, but then when I switch back to banners, I now have the poster image stretched into a banner shape!

I must be doing something wrong, can someone explain how this is supposed to work?
The skin would have to point to poster.jpg. I think the correct file name is folder.jpg and season01.jpg. I am not at home to double check this.

One thing you could do is get media companion and make sure you have posters checked, then scan your tv shows folder and verify that the posters are there.

Smile

Good luck,
SoBBie
AFAIK your posters have to be named like super_sobbie said. I think checking the enable posters tells the skin how to display the image in poster format, not banner format.
I've tried with a few skins, most recently 'Transparency'
I also tried copying the poster.jpg to folder.jpg with no effect.

Changing the image within xbmc itself does work, as I've found, so I think that the banner/folder/poster.jpg files are just being ignored. It would be nice to be able to switch between the styles on a whim, but it's not the end of the world.

If its relevant, I'm running a nightly build that's just a few days old, and I've tried with the SVN versions on Transparency, Aeon Nox and Neon.

Media Companion seems to be a windows application, and I use windows quite enough in the office, the home is Mac only Smile
I use Aeon Nox and it works great. No problems with banners or posters. Have you tried the TV Logo downloader wich is integrated in the skin(s)?
Here's three images that should explain. Demonstrating the underrated show Andromeda, the first file shows the images files in the folder, the second shows the banner image being shows when you pic TV from the xbmc menu.
Then jump into settings and enable "use posters for tv shows" and then back to TV for image three, which should be showing a poster style image, but just shows the old pic in the new shape, so to speak.

... hang on, I just wrote that and now cant find a way to attach images, does the forum not support that?
If you enable Use posters instead of banners, skins expect that you have natively scanned poster sized thumbnails for your shows. Because you have natively scanned banners, enabling this option shows a squashed thumbnail, not a squashed banner.jpg. With this option on, only banner.jpg will be loaded in banner specific views. With the option off,poster.jpg will be loaded wherever possible in poster specific views.
At least it is this way in Aeon Nox, but I think most skins handle it this way.
Big_Noid Wrote:With this option on, only banner.jpg will be loaded in banner specific views. With the option off,poster.jpg will be loaded wherever possible in poster specific views.

Hmm, so set it to posters, change the thumbs to posters and then if I turn posters off in settings, it'll load the right image? I'll try that now...

also, here's the images via imageshack
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/filesg.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/bannerut.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/posteruj.png/
mat____ Wrote:... hang on, I just wrote that and now cant find a way to attach images, does the forum not support that?

Yes it does. Maybe click on ''go advanced" below the edit window. Then you'll get some extra options.

Edit:
Never mind, you found it
Thanks Machine-Sanctum, I was indeed using the Quick Reply function, so didnt see any image functions.

I've just tried switching to Aeon Nox, enabling posters in the settings and then switching the TV page to a poster view. There everything was stretched, so I picked one show, hit 'I' and changed the thumb to a thumb style image and so that show now displays correctly. Then I was able to switch to a view that wants banner style images, and that works too, which is great.

The odd thing though is that if you go back to settings and turn off posters, the banner image now shows as the stretched poster.

I think I understand the logic now, so thank you all for that.
I will now leave posters set to enabled and edit each tv show to a poster style picture and leave it to the view to select the image type.
They question then becomes, why have the option at all, if the view takes care of it, and why does it default to 'no' ?
The view does not take care of it. A banner specific view either loads banner.jpg or thumbnails, depending on the option.