Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: iMac, Synology DiskStation and XBMC can not find files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

after several evening trying around I end up here and need to ask for some help.

I have an iMac on which I run XBMC. In my Network is also a Synology Diskstation (411j) where I store all my files. This is connected and also implemented in my Explorer. So I can use my vids from it like they would be on my hard disk. Also time mashine working on that.

First I just set up the media Server with upnp. That worked, but while playing HD MKV movies xbmc give out some weird noises every maybe 2 seconds (tried with large and small mkv movies all the same). All is Gigabit LAN so should not be a problem with that. I wanted to try now to connect via normal network access. But nowhere in XBMC I can find my network storage. If I try NFS I can see its IP but not open or add. SMB says "no shares".

Thanks!
Ron
So....how to connect? Or solve the sound problem.?
If your Synology is already mounted on your iMac, when you "Browse for new share", you should find it under "Volumes".
Hi,

no not to find there. But in Finder it is visible! Maybe I shall add I already have Lion on that Mac..

Thanks
Ron
I have a Synology DS1511+ and a mid-2010 27" iMac with Lion.

XBMC works fine.

If you are not able to find the volume shares in XBMC then something is wrong with how you have been mounting them to get them to show in the Finder (maybe you are using AFP or something and XBMC is having some trouble with it).

I mount them SMB via a startup script on my iMac, so that every time the machine starts all of the shares are "auto mounted".

Works great.

To make sure that the shares are really accessible in XBMC go into the terminal (command line window) on your Mac and type the command;

df

It should show all mounted volumes, see if your share with movies is showing up there as mounted.
@Olombo look at this post. I got my answer from jhsrennie and it worked.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108877
Oh and yes you will get better performance accessing your files through SMB than UpnP
lebrett Wrote:Oh and yes you will get better performance accessing your files through SMB than UpnP

Do not worry about performance if you have decent wifi or ethernet connection. Be sure to enable SMB aka windows sharing on Synology.
A final advice : Even when using the tip mentioned earlier, XBMC wasn't able to find the share when "browsing". I succeeded by filling manually all credentials (Name of the server, Username, Password, etc...)