Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Does File mode show backdrop/fanart?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I guess the question is in the heading, im in file mode but can't see any of my backdrop/fanart?

I read back in 2009 that this feature is no longer available. Wondering if this has changed?

Thanks for your help.
Typical! No response for a simple question. Going for five questions now without a response.
is it saved as fanart.jpg or <movie name>-fanart.jpg
Thanks for the response.

Its for music not movies, I have tried library with backdrops, but only received ones that xbmc have downloaded. Not my ones that I use. So I want to use file view.

I want my backdrop to appear, I have done the advancedsettings.xml file to convert fanart to backdrop and it didn't work, then created fanart for all folders from the backdrop through a script thinking the xml file was not doing what it should. However, same issue no backdrops/fanart when there is on file mode.
If for music then place a fanart.jpg in each artist folder
XBMC in file mode will use any fanart.jpg saved with your music. But it does not appear to use the fanart that is downloaded and saved in the library. If you have modified xbmc to use backdrop.jpg instead of fanart.jpg in advancedsettings.xml then it may work but I couldn't tell you for sure as I haven't tried this.

You ~could~ try renaming one of your backdrop.jpg images to fanart.jpg and see what happens.

If you are after a quicker response to your questions try giving a bit more info. Your initial post doesn't really have any info at all. No idea if you were talking about music or movies. No idea on what your naming convetion for your backdrop/fanart was etc - your subsequent post has a little more info in it. Even so you could post the contents of you advancedsettings.xml file so others coudl look to see if you have that formatted correctly as well and specifing what your directory structure is woudl also help.
Hi,

I have fanart.jpg and backdrop.jpg to cover all bases. I still recieve no artwork in file manager mode. I'm on the aeon skin if that helps as well.

I also have a folder.jpg in each of my music artist folders as setup below. This works in file mode no issue, so this is working.

I also assumed if the scraper did not pull through the image it would look for a local image such as the folder.jpg for an artists image in library mode.

c:\music\2 pac\folder.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\backdrop.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\fanart.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\Greatest Hits\folder.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\Greatest Hits\backdrop.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\Greatest Hits\fanart.jpg

On top of this I was wondering is it possible to edit what gets imported in library mode, is there a third party app that can add/edit the images XBMC download?

Thanks for the help.

here is my advancedsettings.xml file set under the correct location.

<advancedsettings>
<fanart>
<remove>fanart.jpg</remove>
<add>backdrop.jpg</add>
</fanart>

</advancedsettings>
I'm using transparency and definitely get my fanart.jpg and folder.jpg when browsing in file mode. If I do not have a local fanart or folder file mode will not display anything. BUT using Confluence it only displays the local folder.jpg and not the local fanart.jpg when in file mode.

So my guess is that XBMC does not by default display local fanart in file mode and this setting is specific to the skin you are using. It would appear that Aeon doesn't support this function. You could edit the skin yourself to get it to happen. Not sure how you woudl do that but I'd start by looking at how transparency does it.

The scraper will use local images the first time your source is scanned to the library if they exist, but if you add them later it will not automatically pick up the local images and you need to add them manually.

Changing the advancedsettings.xml as you have done should edit what gets imported into the library (and cached away under your userdata/thumbnails directory), but if you have already scraped before adding the local image or changing advancedsettings.xml it will not do it automatically.
Ok that makes sense thank you.

While we are on the topic of music and editing the library.

I have two artists Nelly and Nelly Furtado, Nelly Furtado artwork appears to take over both options.

Is this repairable through the userdata/thumbnails directory?

If not, is there a 3rd party app to edit the details of what the library has download?

Thanks again.
I haven't found a decent app to manage music metadata other than completely standalone apps to play with ID3 tags. SO I can't help you with that. It woudl be nice if there was an Ember or XWMM for music.

As for fixing the Nelly / Nelly Furtado issue, I'd bring up the Nelly entry and bring up info and do a refresh from there. It should come up with a list of artists starting with Nelly. If it doesn't come up with Nelly hit manual at the bottom of the list and type in Nelly to see what you get. Nelly was the second on the list for me using the last.fm scraper

Trying to find out what file in your thumbnail cache relates to what artist is time consuming
Great, thanks again.

All my stuff is tagged and done and so is all my images.

Based on what you said about the music info for fanart etc, I think I need to delete my music database and recreate it as I only just added the advanced setting feature in, thinking it would just swap it over.
I'm just about to do fix my whole music library for XBMC, just want to clarify some things before doing so. Preparation!

I have my setup as such:
c:\music\2 pac\folder.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\backdrop.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\fanart.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\Greatest Hits\folder.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\Greatest Hits\backdrop.jpg
c:\music\2 pac\Greatest Hits\fanart.jpg

As long as I have the advancedsettings.xml file located in the userdata section, the library will first pickup my local backdrop.jpg files and folder.jpg for artists?

To start again, how do I delete the database? Just remove the source from file mode or can I manually remove the database from windows explorer?

Thanks!!!
the databases are located in your userdata folder (in windows type %appdata%/xbmc/userdata/Database in the run dialogue and it should open up). The music db is called MyMusic7.db or something like that. Just move this file elsewhere and XBMC will recreate it when you next do a scan. If all goes wrong you can always copy the old db file back in place of the newly created one.

if you have fanart.jpg and backdrop.jpg you probably dont need the advancedsettings.xml thing there. If you have a mix I guess you could just add the backdrop.jpg line and not remove fanart.jpg

I'm not sure how it works for fanart and backdrop under the album directory though. I only use the fanart at the artist level. Give it a go and let us know what happens.
Cheers for help mate.

I will let you know about the setup and rebuild for future knowledge.

Thanks.
Ok, so removed the database and added in the advancedsettings.xml.

The scraper will actually choose its own and if the scraper can't pull anything, it will use what you have.

So not to bad, good enough.