Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dolby Digital works, but not DTS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I'm choosing to run the audio through an SPDIF cable and am choosing Optical in the Audio settings. Movies encoded with Dolby Digital audio work great, but nothing in DTS works - results in either static or silence.

I'm just using onboard audio with my motherboard (see sig). Is this simply because my motherboard supports Dolby but not DTS? Would getting a sound card fix this problem for me? (DTS movies also don't play audio using VLC player either, so this is not an XBMC specific problem.)
are you sure that your AMP supports DTS? Did you tell XBMC that your AMP supports it in system settings?
I ran some tests and you're right, my AMP doesn't support DTS, so in XBMC audio settings I unchecked DTS support. Everything is working great now! I have one question though: now when I start movies with DTS audio, the audio comes out in 5.1 surround and sounds fantastic. How come UNchecking support for DTS allows me to play movies in DTS? Shouldn't it just be mute? Not complaining, I just don't get it is all...
wildonrio- i notice you have great htpc and lcd, but lack of newer option in your avr. to fully enjoy the latest surround, here is one good economical avr- Sony STR-DH710.

regarding the dts question- it's downmixing dts.
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually have an awesome Panasonic 7.1 AVR with Blu-ray integration. I don't list it in my specs, though I should.
wildonrio Wrote:Thanks for the suggestion! I actually have an awesome Panasonic 7.1 AVR with Blu-ray integration. I don't list it in my specs, though I should.
why not do these- htpc>avr>hdtv using two hdmi cables....and set avr to passthrough video, you'll get the best pq/aq with these connections.
I actually had that exact set up at my last apt. My problem right now in my new apt is my neighbors - they complain about noise. My system used to be a lot of fun, but here, I can't be loud. It really sucks. As a substitute I'm doing some virtual surround sound in headphones using this product: http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolb...848&sr=8-2. It sounds pretty neat and no one can hear anything except for me.
Re the DTS question - its not downmixing - its being decoded in xbmc and passed as LPCM to your receiver. In other words its not bitstreaming.
wildonrio Wrote:I actually had that exact set up at my last apt. My problem right now in my new apt is my neighbors - they complain about noise. My system used to be a lot of fun, but here, I can't be loud. It really sucks. As a substitute I'm doing some virtual surround sound in headphones using this product: http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolb...848&sr=8-2. It sounds pretty neat and no one can hear anything except for me.
you still can do htpc>avr>hdtv via hdmi cables instead of audio through spdif. you still can enjoy surround sound without bothering your neighbor by keeping the volume low. with proper speakers’ placement and calibration, you still can hear sound effects throughout surround sound speakers. since i knocked down several picture frames off the wall with my audyssey and hsu subwoofer, i learned to keep the volume very low. i still can hear all the sound effects throughout my 7.1 speakers at very low volume.