Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Script/Hotkey to toggle between audio outputs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running the latest version of XBMC, installed on top of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I have two audio outputs that I'd like to switch between - HDMI Audio on my TV, and SPDIF output for passthrough AC3/DTS content. Both outputs work if I change the settings manually under the Audio settings, however, I was wondering if there was any way to add a button to the OSD (or a hotkey, etc) that will allow someone not so tech-savvy to easily switch between audio outputs.

Possible?
There's a way with Ubuntu to just output to all ports all the time. I don't really understand much of it myself, and had to follow a step-by-step guide that was made for the ATV1 running a slimmed down Ubuntu, but it does work and is the easiest solution in that kind of situation (since you don't need to do anything). I don't know if the guide I used will be of any help since it is a different ubuntu version, all command line, and for ATV1 hardware, but it might at least guide you in the right direction: http://stmlabs.com/forum/topic/asoundcon...t#post-896
Ned Scott Wrote:There's a way with Ubuntu to just output to all ports all the time. I don't really understand much of it myself, and had to follow a step-by-step guide that was made for the ATV1 running a slimmed down Ubuntu, but it does work and is the easiest solution in that kind of situation (since you don't need to do anything). I don't know if the guide I used will be of any help since it is a different ubuntu version, all command line, and for ATV1 hardware, but it might at least guide you in the right direction: http://stmlabs.com/forum/topic/asoundcon...t#post-896

I'm worried there might be an issue there, though. If the content I'm watching has AC3/DTS audio, and it's passing that through, won't I just hear static on my TV? (The TV only accepts PCM 2.0)
speaker219 Wrote:I'm worried there might be an issue there, though. If the content I'm watching has AC3/DTS audio, and it's passing that through, won't I just hear static on my TV? (The TV only accepts PCM 2.0)

XBMC will still control passthrough options.