Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best firmware for ATV2 and xbmc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just received my atv2 and it came with 4.2 ( 2060 ) installed. I want to jailbreak it to install xbmc and was fully prepared for it to arrive with the latest firmware but now it hasn't I'm not sure what to do. Which is the best firmware to have installed before jb'ing? I understand that xbmc still has a few problems with latest firmware so is it best to stick with 4.2?

any help appreciated

Kev
I believe XBMC does not care about which firmware is installed. Right now I would stick with 4.2. With the current jailbreak for 4.3 it's harder to install updates for XBMC (and possibly other things) due to something that got jacked up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448

Apple only lists new features for 4.3 and no bug fixes, so unless you want to buy TV show episodes from the ATV2's native interface then there's really no incentive to update (XBMC has a Vimeo add-on).

Just make sure that you install update-be-gone via Nito TV after you jailbreak it, to prevent the update nag box from crashing XBMC.
Thanks for the info, I'll stick with it for now then. And congrats on your 1000th post.
kevlar Wrote:Thanks for the info, I'll stick with it for now then. And congrats on your 1000th post.

We'll I'll be... haha.