Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issue with Mac Mini 2011 and integrated GPU with 24p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I bought recently a Mac Mini with i5 2,3Ghz and integrated GPU to use it as htcp but I notice, for me, an evident issue during the vision of movies.
Searching in the web and in this forum the cause of a shutter during the vision of 1080p/23,937fps I found this article (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-s...0-tested/7) that say this about integrated gpu in sandybridge cpu:

"What happens when you try to play 23.976 fps content on a display that refreshes itself 24.000 times per second? You get a repeated frame approximately every 40 seconds to synchronize the source frame rate with the display frame rate. That repeated frame appears to your eyes as judder in motion, particularly evident in scenes involving a panning camera."

Is there no solution about this problem?
I see 99% mkv files at 23,937fps and I bought a Panasonic Plasma that support 24fps to see movies smoothly without juddering, pull-down, ecc
Sorry for my poor English.
Turn on sync playback to display and set sync method to resample, that's what that setting is for.

Or somehow figure out how to set the refreshrate to 23.976 hertz Smile
bobo1on1 Wrote:Turn on sync playback to display and set sync method to resample, that's what that setting is for.

Or somehow figure out how to set the refreshrate to 23.976 hertz Smile

Thanks a lot; I'ill try this method but I read this on wiki:

"Resampling has the advantage that the speed of the video can be changed considerably, so 24 fps can be sped up to 25 fps to play at PAL speed. The disadvantage of resampling is that it doesn't work with passthrough, and there is a slight loss of audio quality."

What does it means? With this solution, can I use my a/v the audioprocessor of my a/v receveir?
What it does is resample the video in the Mac to set the sync to the speed u want. However, this means resampling the audio too which can affect sound quality.

Your AV receiver is not involved in this.
With passthrough over spdif or hdmi, dolby digital or DTS audio is decoded by the receiver, XBMC can't resample that, so it will revert to drop/dupe when sync method is set to resample and passthrough is in use.
voip-ninja and bobo1on1 thanks a lot.

bobo1on1 Wrote:With passthrough over spdif or hdmi, dolby digital or DTS audio is decoded by the receiver, XBMC can't resample that, so it will revert to drop/dupe when sync method is set to resample and passthrough is in use.

With your suggestion all seems to works perfect. Big Grin
Two , and I hope, final questions:

1- with the tv speakers I don't notice any loss of audio quality, with "professional" speakers can I notice that?

2- what is the difference between dolby digital/DTS decoded my mac mini instead by the receiver?

Thanks a lot again

Dario
Personally I don't hear any quality difference at all, even with good headphones, so with tv speakers I wouldn't worry about it.

Regarding passthrough, if you're using spdif it's the only way to get 5.1 sound, if you're using hdmi audio there shouldn't be any difference between using XBMC to decode the audio or using your receiver.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Personally I don't hear any quality difference at all, even with good headphones, so with tv speakers I wouldn't worry about it.

Regarding passthrough, if you're using spdif it's the only way to get 5.1 sound, if you're using hdmi audio there shouldn't be any difference between using XBMC to decode the audio or using your receiver.

Thank you very much!!! Big GrinLaugh
News: after the suggestions of bobo1on1 all seems to play perfectly but in certains movies I noticed some scenes (always at the same timing) that present artifacts or shutters.
So I enable Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) and with this setting the scenes play smoothly Shocked
I was very surprised and very happy but today I discover that the Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) option solve my last issue but in some scenes (rare times, but when it happens it's always at the samen point) generate artifacts. Sad
I prefer the last solution but it is not perfect yet.
Finally I bought my a/v receveir and so I have new problem.
With the following setting my a/v receiver, ONKYO/X-NR609, (connected with mac mini by hdmi cable) recognizes and receives only 2ch, apparently only the front sorround channel because I can't hear the voice:

Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) --> ON
Sync playback to display --> ON
A/V sync method --> Video Clock(resample audio)
Audio output --> HDMI
Audio output device --> HDMI
Speaker Configuration--> 5.1

If I enable Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver and DTS Capable Receiver
the sound is perfect and my receveir detects all the channels but I lose the perfect sync according to: "With passthrough over spdif or hdmi, dolby digital or DTS audio is decoded by the receiver, XBMC can't resample that, so it will revert to drop/dupe when sync method is set to resample and passthrough is in use. "
I don't know what to do: I'm desperate.
Please, help me!
I try all different settings and nothing to do...it doesn't work!
DXVA2 ? XBMC for Mac does not have that setting. Are you running OSX ?
Turn off dolby digital and dts capable receiver and let XBMC decode the audio, you should still get 5.1 if you use audio over hdmi.
davilla Wrote:DXVA2 ? XBMC for Mac does not have that setting. Are you running OSX ?

Yes, I'm running OSX and DXVA2 works on it!

bobo1on1 Wrote:Turn off dolby digital and dts capable receiver and let XBMC decode the audio, you should still get 5.1 if you use audio over hdmi.

No, it doesn't work. If I disable dolby digital and dts capable receiver I get only 2ch, the FL and FR.
If I turn on this option, the sound works perfect but I lost audio resampling function.
I noticed that I have to set Audio output to Optical/Coax in order to achive multichannels.
If I set Hdmi the signal is only for ther two front speakers...
Pages: 1 2