Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remote for HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Need myself a suitable control/remote to navigate and access my htpc

I'm currently using a HP Compaq 8200 elite pc as my htpc

What do u guys recommend?
I have the Harmony One... Love it, wouldn't trade it. But its spendy...
TapRackPull Wrote:I have the Harmony One... Love it, wouldn't trade it. But its spendy...

I second that. Luckily my harmony 880 broke and i got a 50% off coupon after talking to Logitech customer support. It is one amazing remote control. I bought a cheap mce remote from newegg for around 20 bucks and used it's IR receiver.
Which USB IR Remote Kits Work out of the Box with Linux and Windows?
[Remote Kit] MediaGate GP-IR02BK ($25 + $0)
[Remote Kit] HP Media Center 5187-4592 ($24 + $2)
I bought this one with no modifications/drivers in windows 7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880121001

not sure if it works in linux, haven't tried yet.
i will be using xbmc on a window 7 machine, will the harmony one still work?
eskro Wrote:Which USB IR Remote Kits Work out of the Box with Linux and Windows?
[Remote Kit] MediaGate GP-IR02BK ($25 + $0)
[Remote Kit] HP Media Center 5187-4592 ($24 + $2)

MediaGate one works very well with Windows and Live.
akhlaq768 Wrote:i will be using xbmc on a window 7 machine, will the harmony one still work?

Absolutely it will. The harmony can 'become' what ever you need it to be. It will definitely work of Win7.

FLIRC is an option for IR receiver too. I use it, and like it a lot. Works perfectly with the Harmony
My reason for going with FLIRC over a generic IR receiver is simple. My HTPC sits in a cabinet alongside the Receiver, Cable Box, and XBOX360 if I used a generic MCE IR receiver and setup the harmony to speak to it, then every command that I send to the HTPC I also send to the XBox360 and vice versa. Personally I prefer to have everything speaking a different language. So,I setup the harmony to *think* the HTPC is a brand of DVR that I do not have and used FLIRC to map the remote IR Codes to the appropriate keystrokes. In the end, play is play, pause is pause... Moreover, I was able to customize the keymap so that I have certain buttons on my Harmony specific for Youtube videos, Shutdown (the action, not the menu), and to automatically search for new content on the server.

It works for me, but YMMV
I have the Rii Mini Wireless Keyboard/mouse.

It actually works pretty well. I mean your not going to do things as fast as you would with a mouse and keyboard but for a HTPC Its perfect. I would recommend it to anyone Smile There is one catch with this thing though. Sometimes it loses mouse/keystrokes. Now this could be due to usb obstruction or 2.4 Interference (I live in an apartment.) but either way the thing still rocks Big Grin
TapRackPull Wrote:Absolutely it will. The harmony can 'become' what ever you need it to be. It will definitely work of Win7.

FLIRC is an option for IR receiver too. I use it, and like it a lot. Works perfectly with the Harmony
My reason for going with FLIRC over a generic IR receiver is simple. My HTPC sits in a cabinet alongside the Receiver, Cable Box, and XBOX360 if I used a generic MCE IR receiver and setup the harmony to speak to it, then every command that I send to the HTPC I also send to the XBox360 and vice versa. Personally I prefer to have everything speaking a different language. So,I setup the harmony to *think* the HTPC is a brand of DVR that I do not have and used FLIRC to map the remote IR Codes to the appropriate keystrokes. In the end, play is play, pause is pause... Moreover, I was able to customize the keymap so that I have certain buttons on my Harmony specific for Youtube videos, Shutdown (the action, not the menu), and to automatically search for new content on the server.

It works for me, but YMMV

You're running xbmc on windows right?
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:You're running xbmc on windows right?

No, I actually run on LIVE.
Duplicate post