Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help me with HTPC and NAS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to build my first HTPC with NAS functions. I have the following requirements:
1. silent
2. low power
3. 4x to 6x HDD 3 1/2
4. DVB-T and DVB-S TV card
The CPU Intel i3-2100 / 2100T looks good. Can you help me choose HTPC components ? OS will be WIN7. Thank you.
I've got no idea of what you need, but here it has been discussed a lot and, the general idea is: HTPC+NAS in a single machine is a bad idea, especially if you want to fit 6 HDD.
All hard drives will be in sleep mode and use will always be only one. Noise would not be many. I do not want to build 2 computers.
I suggest that you go and do some research on what you want to and how to go about doing it. There is an obscene amount of information in this forum and elsewhere. Once you know what you want, you can start choosing parts. Both eskro and poofy have created very informative starting guides that you can use to help you choose.

We will gladly help you troubleshoot or critique a build, but do not expect anyone to custom design a build just for you.
The equipment will be used to play movies in 1080p with the ability to record movies from TV / SAT. It will include several drive for saving movie. Need help selecting motherboard and DVB-T and DVB-S card. CASE will be Silverstone SST-GD01B-R. Hard drive I have WD GREEN. CPU will be I3-2100 or 2100T or similar. Graphics card will be integrated in the processor or external ? Motherboard chipset H61/H67/Z68. RAM is 2x2GB. OS will be WIN7. What additional information I need to tell ? Thank you
I'm more of a troubleshooting guy, but I'll give it a go Wink

As you're trying to fit six HDDs into one box, it will be hot and loud. Unless you plan on hiding it away somewhere, it will be very noticable when watching TV from it. There is no way that you can build a silent system that has 6 rapidly spinning disks in it. That case will further compound the issue, as it only has space for a handful of 80 and 92 mm fans. If you want to reduce noise, I strongly suggest that you find a case that has more fan space, including some 120mm fan spaces.

As you want 6 drives, you're going to have to have either a full size ATX board, or some additional SATA cards. Think about something cheap and cheerful, like the Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2-B3. It's got space for a graphics card, and for additional SATA cards if the 4 on board ports aren't enough. I don't recommend that you use the GPU built into the CPU, as these have been known to cause issues with HD playback.

RAM is fine, you don't need anything fancy.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about DVB cards.

Let us know what country you're from, so we can recommend things that are actually available!
maybe take a look here.

add a low profile dvb s card in it and you're rdy to go Wink