Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC on nettops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok I have been trying to do my due diligence...

I currently have a spare parts HTPC running Dharma LIVE.

Looking to move to a nettop device and probably openelec (for ease of setup).

Usage: Blu-ray MKV rips mostly, some DVD iso/mkv, I am fine with LPCM HD audio to receiver (since it pretty much is the same as bit-streaming, at least to my ears). No flash content, maybe a plugin or 2 but no big deal if some don't work.

From my research, pretty much any current nettop should work fine with XBMC LIVE/Openelec for my needs.

The only limitation is slower advanced skins (MQ2).

I have seen the following hardware thrown about, and just want to confirm that for the most part any product should be able to work (I am cheap!), obviously I would do model specific research when I start shopping...

Video Chips: Intel GMA 3150, ION\2
Processors: Atom D425\330 (heard the new AMD less support). Also Zotac has a Celeron box which is more expensive but can use MQ2

South Bridges: Intel NM10\ION

Anything to avoid for my basic needs? Or am I wrongHuh?
check this thread here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=8...post843683

then, you'll know from which group you belong,

and then will be able to narrow down your HTPC easier Smile
DEFINATELY...a good starting point..however..you might find yourself leaning towards a self build when you see the prices of some of these units...i have a pch c-200..got fed up with the slooow updates and underdevelopment..on paper it plays everything but it just looked like tripe, i started looking at XBMC for the first time..hmmm...get a nice small box that plays this that...now i have spent in excess of £300..but having said that...EVERYTHING is on one box..no DVD player, no BluRay player, no SKY TV box, no PVR...its all gravy...you might get more than you need for less on a self build..consider it and also deffo read eskros self build thread...i tip my hat to him.