Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC crashes when playing mpg file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried to play a .bin (SVCD) file and xbmc told me that it couldn't play it. I then renamed the file to .mpg since it is encoded in mpg1/2. Here's the debug log:

http://pastebin.com/j4nercZ3

Any ideas?
NachbarsLumpi Wrote:I tried to play a .bin (SVCD) file and xbmc told me that it couldn't play it. I then renamed the file to .mpg since it is encoded in mpg1/2. Here's the debug log:

http://pastebin.com/j4nercZ3

Any ideas?

Isn't a bin file like an ISO? I think you need to extract it to read it as a mpg.
Shouldn't XBMC be able to play it anyway? The behaviour stays the same for many of those files and I am sure that it used to work some time before!

I just did now a simple test:

Code:
# apt-get install vlc
# file bla.bin
bla.bin: data
$ vlc bla.bin

VLC now tells me in codec details that it detects only a audio stream (MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3 (mpga) and no video stream at all.

It smells terribly like a regression in ffmpeg? Do I miss a specific package that should be installed, but is not (maybe due to the upgrade from 9.04 to 11.04?)

EDIT:

Code:
# head -5 *.bin
[several non-ascii-chars]
[several non-ascii-chars]RTOS CD-BRIDGE               Catwomen1                       ,[several non-ascii-chars]
GNU VCDImager 0.6.2rc2 cygwin/i586

EDIT: oops, I forgot about the crashlog, here it is:

http://pastebin.com/aYT1KjAD

UPDATE: I tried to play the same file with mplayer (on the same machine) and it works. mplayer uses the video codec:
[ffmpeg2] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-2)
from FFmpeg's libavcodec family
Although the XBMC wiki says it supports .bin files I have no idea whether or not it supports it via ftp..that's something one of the devs needs to chime in on. It's been years since I played with bin and cue files.
I'm unsure what ftp has to do with this topic? the file resides on the computer itself, though it is a different raid volume, but still it is physically "within" the same computer.

xbmc cant play it (crashes)
vlc can play it partially (only skipping audio, no video)
mplayer can play it (all fine)

all processes are started on the same computer where the file is physically stored.
NachbarsLumpi Wrote:I'm unsure what ftp has to do with this topic? the file resides on the computer itself, though it is a different raid volume, but still it is physically "within" the same computer.

xbmc cant play it (crashes)
vlc can play it partially (only skipping audio, no video)
mplayer can play it (all fine)

all processes are started on the same computer where the file is physically stored.

Sorry about that..I was working on 2 different threads. How many of these .bin files do have and why not convert them to .iso which would allow you to keep any menus.
I could convert them all, sure. And surely there are plenty other workarounds. Unfortunatly I'm not interested in workarounds...

I wanna get to a solution why xbmc is unable to play those 48 movies that work fine with mplayer on the same machine. I'm sure the problem did not exist some time ago, which means that somewhere in xbmc is a regression that even causes it to crash.
No ideas at all?