Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: i3 based build, or a G820 with a GPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is not much price difference between the two different builds, so I am not sure what my best option is.....

Intel Pentium G840 2.8GHz Socket 1155 Processor
Asus GeForce G210 SILENTLow Profile PCI-E Graphics Card
Asus P8H61-M PRO Intel H61 Socket 1155 mATX Motherboard

Intel Core i3 2100 3.10GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Asus P8H67-M R3 H67 1155 Socket 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard

Am I right that the i3 + H67 board is a good combo for media playback?

I am guessing a standalone GPU might offer benefits, but at the expense of heat?
i would choose #1
eskro Wrote:i would choose #1

Thanks for the reply eskro, which I appreciate you have a great knowledge in this area. Your guide has really helped me alot!

Just out of interest is there any particular reason why you would go for #1?
Looking at your build I maybe should be looking at AMD options...

Anyone tried the new AMD llano builds? They look interesting
djglenn Wrote:Just out of interest is there any particular reason why you would go for #1?

You will get better drivers support with separate GPU. The intel graphics has some issues remaining - at least when it comes to XBMC.

XBMC really wont utilize the capabilities of the i core such as hyperthreading anyway.

I believe that graphics card will run both audio and video together via single HDMI cable. If not that card then the next step up in eskro's guide will.

Smile
djglenn Wrote:I am guessing a standalone GPU might offer benefits, but at the expense of heat?

GT210s are very cool.
if the price is very similar, i'll go with i3 build. the asus p8h67-m might be slightly more expensive than this asrock h67m, and i preferred asrock bios too. with the possible saving on the asrock mobo, you can install this very low power consumption card ($25)- radeon hd 5450 1gb. you'll have a very nice htpc.

here more info on hd 5450 card:

GeForce GT 210 vs Radeon HD 5450
I agree... 210 is very low end, even for htpc. Ati 5450 or 6450, or Nvidia 430
Livin Wrote:I agree... 210 is very low end, even for htpc. Ati 5450 or 6450, or Nvidia 430
out of those three cards, i'll go for hd 6450.
dont buy more then u need,,,,
djglenn Wrote:There is not much price difference between the two different builds, so I am not sure what my best option is.....

Intel Pentium G840 2.8GHz Socket 1155 Processor
Asus GeForce G210 SILENTLow Profile PCI-E Graphics Card
Asus P8H61-M PRO Intel H61 Socket 1155 mATX Motherboard

Intel Core i3 2100 3.10GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Asus P8H67-M R3 H67 1155 Socket 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard

Am I right that the i3 + H67 board is a good combo for media playback?

I am guessing a standalone GPU might offer benefits, but at the expense of heat?

I just completed a build using #2. It is working fine for me. I am not able to perceive any hiccup due to the 24 fps problem using the integrated GPU. Depending on what you will be using your HTPC for, I would suggest starting with either #1 (minus the graphics card) or #2 and only adding the graphics card if you notice problems.
boiler_fan Wrote:I just completed a build using #2. It is working fine for me. I am not able to perceive any hiccup due to the 24 fps problem using the integrated GPU. Depending on what you will be using your HTPC for, I would suggest starting with either #1 (minus the graphics card) or #2 and only adding the graphics card if you notice problems.

Thanks for this info!

Just out of interest, are you running XBOX with the Aeon skin on this setup?
I personally prefer the GT430 cards myself for GPU offloading. I run this setup on two different XBMCs in the older Core 2 Duo line along with AEON MQ3/2 without issues.
djglenn Wrote:Thanks for this info!

Just out of interest, are you running XBOX with the Aeon skin on this setup?

I tried Aeon skin for awhile and it was working fine, but went back to the default skin as I think I like it a little better.
bluray Wrote:out of those three cards, i'll go for hd 6450.

Wait a min....The price difference between a G210 and a HD6450 is £10...

If the 6450 is a better card I will spend the extra tenner...

Would a Intel G840 + HD6450 struggle at all with a Win 7, XBMC / Aeon MQ2 setup?
Pages: 1 2