Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "TV Shows" directory inside my "Movies" directory...How to exclude from movies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

I have my tv shows in a folder called "TV Shows", which is located inside the folder called "Movies", where all my movies are in "Movies", in its own folder.

Now I want to set "Movies" folder as my movies library, but I want it to exclude the "TV Shows" folder.

is it possible? if so, how?

Thanks
The way you posed your question was confusing so which of the following format describes your structure? If you have number one all you need to do is create 2 sources and set the content at the TV Shows and 2nd Movies level. If you have number 2 it would most likely be best to move TV Shows a level up. The XBMC Wiki contains a lot of information on structures and fileformats for TV and Movies.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows_%28...Library%29

1 Movies
TV Shows
Show1
Show2
Movies
Movie1
Movie2

2 Movies
TV Shows
Movie1
Movie2
Movie3 etc

There's a file called advancedsettings.xml that has a flag called <excludefromscan/excludefromlisting> but not sure if it would work for your
situation...never used it.

Contains regular expressions to match filenames or folders which should be excluded from a library scan (except tvshows). This can be for both Video or Audio sections of advancedsettings.xml.
why not just put your movie and tvshows folder on the same level like:
movies
tvshows

instead of:
movies
+Tvshows

Make it simple Smile
The-Boxhead Wrote:why not just put your movie and tvshows folder on the same level like:
movies
tvshows

instead of:
movies
+Tvshows

Make it simple Smile

I dont want to do that, because I still use YAMJ with popcorn hour, and i create the YAMJ jukebox for my family and friends.
you can explicitly set content to none on the folder, then tick the exclude from scans.
But can you then add that folder to the TV library?
spiff Wrote:you can explicitly set content to none on the folder, then tick the exclude from scans.

Do that then if on a platform that allows it make a symlink to the TV directory at the same level as movies then add it as the tv source.
yes hitcher, you can also set it to tvshows, if that's what you want... point here is that a directory's particular settings always override whatever content it is given from a parent dir.
spiff Wrote:you can explicitly set content to none on the folder, then tick the exclude from scans.

If I do that, can I still again add a new source, for "TV Shows" folder, and let it organize my TV data?

I'm confused honestly....

XBMC looks straight forward, but when using it, it's completely different.

Got another issue (not related to this issue), It never uses movie posters, why is that? It always shows the poster as snapshot of the movie.
Let me tell you what I want to do:

- I want to keep my structure as it is, that is: X:\multimedia\movies (This is where all my movies are, each movie in it's own folder, with it's associated files.

- My TV Shows to still be in X:\multimedia\movies\TV Shows\

When I start XBMC, under Videos, when I go to "Library", i want to have two options "Movies" & "TV Shows"

Can someone please assist me on this?
HiSoC8Y Wrote:Let me tell you what I want to do:

- I want to keep my structure as it is, that is: X:\multimedia\movies (This is where all my movies are, each movie in it's own folder, with it's associated files.

- My TV Shows to still be in X:\multimedia\movies\TV Shows\

When I start XBMC, under Videos, when I go to "Library", i want to have two options "Movies" & "TV Shows"

Look at what Spiff suggested, set content for your TV shows folder to tv shows. For your main movie folder, when you do a set content on it to movies, make sure you check the box that says scan recursive.
HiSoC8Y Wrote:If I do that, can I still again add a new source, for "TV Shows" folder, and let it organize my TV data?

I'm confused honestly....

XBMC looks straight forward, but when using it, it's completely different.

Got another issue (not related to this issue), It never uses movie posters, why is that? It always shows the poster as snapshot of the movie.

Honestly, it is straight forward, but it requires you to also apply some common sense to the situation. File structure and naming are very important. If you want to buck the system, that's cool, but expect that it won't be as straight forward as you expect.

As for your problem, the solution has been stated at least twice. Set the content of the TV Shows folder to TV Shows. That's pretty straight forward.
you cannot have your tvshow folder in your movie folder and expect it to work. Recursive scan will add you tvshow as if they were movies. there isnt a way to just exclude the tvshow folder. So your only option would be to move your folder
HiSoC8Y Wrote:Let me tell you what I want to do:

If this is the problem... you do not go into Library view under the main menu VIDEOS. Videos item displays in "File Mode" which is similar to looking at files on your computer operating system. The VIDEOS item is for setting your content, viewing items that don't show up in Library mode, etc.

To view your TV-Shows and Movies in library mode you have to back out of VIDEOS to the main menu. Navigate to the MOVIES or TVSHOWS from the main menu. There, you should see them in Library mode.
saitoh183 Wrote:you cannot have your tvshow folder in your movie folder and expect it to work. Recursive scan will add you tvshow as if they were movies. there isnt a way to just exclude the tvshow folder. So your only option would be to move your folder

Read what Spiff mentioned... while probably not a good idea to nest your TV Shows folder within your movies folder (I know I wouldn't), it looks like you can indeed exclude if it if you so wanted.
Pages: 1 2