Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
gadgetchannel Wrote:Most of my movies are in a single folder named Movies, with just a few being in their own individual folders (subfolders under Movies).

Why don't you put them in individual subfolders?
@Gadgetchannel:
As you can read in the FAQ of my first post, the app only looks at folders, this is because XBMC can pick up on posters, fanart and trailers that belong with a movie much easier if they are in the same subfolder then if all movies, NFO files, trailers and images are thrown together into a pile.

To make it easier to sort all those loose movies into folders, you can select the 'Tools' menu and choose the 'Sort Movie Files Into Folders' or 'Sort Files into Folders', which will automatically create folders for each movie file it can find and stuff the movie files into those folders.
After that you can refresh the list, and your movies will show up.
As an extra, once you've downloaded information for all your movies, you can use the 'Tools' menu to rename those folders into something like '<Movie Title> (2011)' if you like.
@Zenshi & Pecinko:
Well, as the text reads, the service was apparently unavailable while you were scraping for info. To you guys this would mean that you might want to try again later.
To me this means that I’ve got some hiding of untidy code to do that shows a prettier message then a HTML page. Wink
I'm actually pretty sure that it only shows this message if you're searching for only 1 movie or tv show at a time, and not when you're doing a mass update.
When doing a mass update it checks to see if it finds a valid XML file, and if not it doesn't do anything and goes to the next movie.

As for the status order, it’s currently just sorted on alphabetical status (G-R-Y), but I concur that traffic light order makes more sense. Wink
There's actually a hidden/secret fourth status called 'Future show', in case you add tv shows that haven't been aired just yet. ^^
Think that one should be at the bottom or top?
MariusTh86 Wrote:I'm actually pretty sure that it only shows this message if you're searching for only 1 movie or tv show at a time, and not when you're doing a mass update.
There's actually a hidden/secret fourth status called 'Future show', in case you add tv shows that haven't been aired just yet. ^^
Think that one should be at the bottom or top?

Hey Marius,

Yes, the "error" message was always shown to me when fetching metadata one at a time.

Future shows I think should definitely be on the bottom.

Cheers,

Zenshi
I just tried to re-sort my movie collection by folder (instead of status), and it crashes ViMM.

If I start in debug mode, it opens fine. I can change it back to status, restart the program, and all is well. As soon as I change the option to folder, it crashes again.

Error message: An exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled. The application must shut down.

Currently running 0.5b9
i814u2 Wrote:I just tried to re-sort my movie collection by folder (instead of status), and it crashes ViMM.

If I start in debug mode, it opens fine. I can change it back to status, restart the program, and all is well. As soon as I change the option to folder, it crashes again.

Error message: An exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled. The application must shut down.

Currently running 0.5b9

I seems I forgot to change some code when I started moving it all around, it should be fixed in b10. ^^
And I belief you are talking about the "List Icons:" option, which changes the icons from red and blue weather watched or not to folder icons, which looks good if you're like me and give every folder a custom icon, but otherwise it's just going to look all the same.
This option is not a sorting option.
MariusTh86 Wrote:I seems I forgot to change some code when I started moving it all around, it should be fixed in b10. ^^
And I belief you are talking about the "List Icons:" option, which changes the icons from red and blue weather watched or not to folder icons, which looks good if you're like me and give every folder a custom icon, but otherwise it's just going to look all the same.
This option is not a sorting option.

You are correct. I noticed that previously and assumed it was just icons, then last night I just ignored everything (apparently) and thought it was for sorting. I believe i was trying that because my list wasn't sorting how I expected.

I'm testing the sorting now and seeing that it doesn't appear to sort by the sort title. Correct me if I'm wrong: The list should display the Title, but sort by Sort Title.

Right now it appears to only sort what is displayed (Title).

And I know you mentioned it previously, but I'll just say that I definitely would approve of some sort of database for caching results that are read from NFO files. With random testing, I have to wait 5-6 seconds each time I do something. Sometimes even if I don't do anything (such as open preferences to check a setting, do nothing, then close preferences).
It would be ideal if files weren't re-read unless a change (that requires a re-read) was made, or if the user presses the reload button.

One last thing that I noticed while updating some sort titles: clicking next and previous (in the metadata editor) doesn't save changes. I think this partly has to be because of the way that the list is refreshed if you save an NFO file. However, it would be better to be able to have an improper list and step through a few bad items, manually editing them, and then have the list refresh, or just require a manually refresh. That way "Save" would save and close the dialog, and "Prev" and "Next" would save but then go to another item, leaving the dialog open. "Cancel" should probably be renamed to "Close" then, to make more sense, assuming you/others agreed with this suggestion.
This looks like the best media manager I've seen, shame I'm a windows user. Love the fact you have added anidb support.

Might I ask why you have chosen to make this a Mac exclusive? A media manager shouldn't need any specific OS features, apart from read/write operations (I haven't programmed for Mac so I'm not sure if they are different).

Anyway keep up the good work.
i814u2 Wrote:You are correct. I noticed that previously and assumed it was just icons, then last night I just ignored everything (apparently) and thought it was for sorting. I believe i was trying that because my list wasn't sorting how I expected.

I'm testing the sorting now and seeing that it doesn't appear to sort by the sort title. Correct me if I'm wrong: The list should display the Title, but sort by Sort Title.

Right now it appears to only sort what is displayed (Title).

And I know you mentioned it previously, but I'll just say that I definitely would approve of some sort of database for caching results that are read from NFO files. With random testing, I have to wait 5-6 seconds each time I do something. Sometimes even if I don't do anything (such as open preferences to check a setting, do nothing, then close preferences).
It would be ideal if files weren't re-read unless a change (that requires a re-read) was made, or if the user presses the reload button.

One last thing that I noticed while updating some sort titles: clicking next and previous (in the metadata editor) doesn't save changes. I think this partly has to be because of the way that the list is refreshed if you save an NFO file. However, it would be better to be able to have an improper list and step through a few bad items, manually editing them, and then have the list refresh, or just require a manually refresh. That way "Save" would save and close the dialog, and "Prev" and "Next" would save but then go to another item, leaving the dialog open. "Cancel" should probably be renamed to "Close" then, to make more sense, assuming you/others agreed with this suggestion.

When going to a next or previous item, it does save the data, it just doesn't update the list, and I realize now that if you press cancel on the next item, it still won't update the list since I only thought of doing this while saving an item..
I'm planning on making a method to update a list item instead of the entire list, but until then it'll either have to repopulate the list even when nothing has changed, or live with the current condition until I've made this method.
musera Wrote:This looks like the best media manager I've seen, shame I'm a windows user. Love the fact you have added anidb support.

Might I ask why you have chosen to make this a Mac exclusive? A media manager shouldn't need any specific OS features, apart from read/write operations (I haven't programmed for Mac so I'm not sure if they are different).

Anyway keep up the good work.

It's not likely anywhere near the best yet, but I'm trying my best there. Wink

I would have liked to support Mac, Windows & Linux, as my programming environment supports this, unfortunatley some important lines of code are not entirely cross platformable.
Maybe, maybe I'll see if I can find alternative solutions for those problems so it may work on windows, but this won't happen in the near future I'm afraid.
Finally a media manager for Mac OS X! You've got no idea how long I've been waiting for this... Thank you so much!!!
MariusTh86 Wrote:When going to a next or previous item, it does save the data, it just doesn't update the list, and I realize now that if you press cancel on the next item, it still won't update the list since I only thought of doing this while saving an item..
I'm planning on making a method to update a list item instead of the entire list, but until then it'll either have to repopulate the list even when nothing has changed, or live with the current condition until I've made this method.

Gotcha. I must have not updated the list then. I think maybe I just clicked PREV after clicking NEXT and it wasn't updated. I'll mess around with that more, but it sounds like maybe it does work how I expected then. Just obviously not refreshing when clicking cancel (which is technically what I would expect as well).

In the interest of not having a lot of automatic refreshes (in the interest of speed, that is), perhaps an indicator that the program changed something and a refresh would be a good idea. Then the user could click reload, or keep performing their changes and know to click reload later. That should keep performance up until you can create a routine to just update single items (and potentially resort the list). Basically it would load NFO info on startup and then only when you clicked reload.

Any thoughts on the list not sorting by sort title? Or am I just doing something wrong?
billywanzi Wrote:Finally a media manager for Mac OS X! You've got no idea how long I've been waiting for this... Thank you so much!!!

I've waited so long as to get fed up with it and start building my own, just to see if I could, and when I had something that seemed functional to me, I simply decided to share it with everybody else. Wink
So, you're welcome! ^^
i814u2 Wrote:Gotcha. I must have not updated the list then. I think maybe I just clicked PREV after clicking NEXT and it wasn't updated. I'll mess around with that more, but it sounds like maybe it does work how I expected then. Just obviously not refreshing when clicking cancel (which is technically what I would expect as well).

In the interest of not having a lot of automatic refreshes (in the interest of speed, that is), perhaps an indicator that the program changed something and a refresh would be a good idea. Then the user could click reload, or keep performing their changes and know to click reload later. That should keep performance up until you can create a routine to just update single items (and potentially resort the list). Basically it would load NFO info on startup and then only when you clicked reload.

Any thoughts on the list not sorting by sort title? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Which list is it that's not sorting right?
I've had some problems myself in the tv show list when sorting on status, but it generally seems to work when sorting by title or sort title.
Though I may have set it to always sort on sorttitle by accident...
MariusTh86 Wrote:Which list is it that's not sorting right?
I've had some problems myself in the tv show list when sorting on status, but it generally seems to work when sorting by title or sort title.

It was the movie list where I noticed it. Appears to be sorting only by Title.

I'm dumb. This was my fault, sorry about that.
It was sorting by status. I was thinking that it would sort by one method and then another, but I am wrong.

So that's another feature request then: a quick drop-down choice on the main toolbar. I think that may be nice for most folks. Personally, I plan to use this only on the new movies that I get and rip, so the folder will be only those items needing review and i'll leave it set to sort by title. However, if you are managing your entire collection, I could see it being useful to switch between sorting quickly (to check what needs info, then make sure it all sorts how you want, etc).

Maybe others will disagree though. Maybe you need a suggestion list and then a voting option for those items ;)